'Evil Dead' to Be Tweaked for R Rating After Receiving NC-17 on First Try
Almost unsurprisingly, Federico Alvarez's "Evil Dead" remake is granted an NC-17 rating by the MPAA. The horror flick, which recently stole people's attention due to its graphic violence and extremely gory scenes, receives the rating on first try, but the director is still struggling to secure an R rating.
Alvarez confirms the news himself on Twitter when a fan asks, "Did the film have to be cut at all to achieve the R rating? or is it all still there? or uncut copy later?" The helmer responds, "Was proud of scoring a NC17 when submitted! But we had to cut stuff out to get an R and get the film into theaters."
After all, "Evil Dead" is a major studio movie so at least it has to secure a more audience-friendly rating. The movie has stirred frenzy over this past month after debuting an extremely sadistic red band trailer, which sees explicit bloody scenes including a girl who rips open her own mouth with a rusty blade.
The much-anticipated remake of Sam Raimi's 1981 cult-hit horror film follows five twenty-something friends who become holed up in a remote cabin. When they discover a Book of the Dead, they unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only one is left intact to fight for survival.
TriStar Pictures will release the movie in the U.S. theaters on April 12. It stars Jane Levy, Shiloh Fernandez, Jessica Lucas, Lou Taylor Pucci and Elizabeth Blackmore.
- Suspect in Ariana Grande Concert Bombing Identified, His Brother Arrested by Police
- Katy Perry Wants to Celebrate Her $25M 'American Idol' Paycheck With a 'Beautiful Man'
- Hailey Baldwin Goes Braless for Maxim as She's Dubbed the World's Sexiest Woman
- 'The Voice' Live Finale Part 2: And the Winner of Season 12 Is....
- Kim Kardashian Faces Backlash Over Insensitive Tribute to Manchester Attack Victims
- Future Enlists Kendrick Lamar on 'Mask Off' Remix - Listen
- Karrueche Tran Denied Permanent Restraining Order Against Chris Brown
- Rita Ora Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Plunging Mini Dress at De Grisogono Party in Cannes