Canada Denies Randy Quaid's Request for Permanent Residency Status
Randy Quaid can't stay permanently in Canada, an unnamed government official for the country confirmed on late Saturday, January 26. The actor known for his role as Joe Aguirre in "Brokeback Mountain" has officially been denied for permanent residency status in the neighboring country of the United States.
The denial report came nearly two years after the actor claimed he had won his legal battle to stay in Canada. He, along with his wife Evi, left the States in 2010 following an arrest, in which the couple were accused of vandalism at their rental home in Santa Barbara, California.
American official did not extradite the Quaids for their felony charges, but law enforcement authorities insisted that the pair would be arrested anytime they reenter the country. As a result of his legal case in the States, Quaid applied for refugee status in Canada, claiming that he had his life in danger after being hunted by so-called "Hollywood star-whackers," whom he believed had killed David Carradine and Heath Ledger.
After his residency request was rejected, Quaid appealed to federal court while claiming that his life was still in danger. As quoted by CBC News, the actor stated, "Organized crime and its victims are serious issues and can not be tossed off until the claim is heard." He added, "The refugee claims should remain intact as should Evi and Randy Quaid's heads remain attached to their necks and it is their firm belief that their lives are at stake and being racketeered on."
Apart from "Brokeback Mountain", Quaid is known for his role in "Independence Day" and "National Lampoon's Vacation" film series. He once won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Emmy for portraying U.S. President Lyndon Johnson in TV movie "LBJ: The Early Years". Quaid's wife already has a Canadian citizenship since her father was born in the country.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake