'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' Sequel in the Works for May Start Date
A sequel to Ang Lee's critically-acclaimed wuxia film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is underway. Developed at The Weinstein Company, the follow-up to the 2000 movie is set to kick off filming this May in Asia. Lee will not return as the helmer as TWC is approaching veteran Chinese filmmaker, Ronny Yu, to serve behind the lens.
According to Deadline, the sequel is derived from the same source material in Lee's original film and will be based on "Silver Vase, Iron Knight", the fifth book of Wang Du Lu's Crane-Iron Pentalogy. The sequel will continue the story of Yu Shu Lien, played by Michelle Yeoh in the first film. It is still unclear whether she would return to the next movie.
The script, meanwhile, is written by John Fusco and Harvey Weinstein himself is serving as the producer. Of his involvement in the untitled Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel, Fusco said, "This was an opportunity to explore a lifelong passion I've had for Wu Sia, and if there wasn't continuing source material, I would never have gotten involved."
As for the plot, the scribe dished, "This introduces a new generation of star-crossed lovers, and a new series of antagonists in a battle of good and evil. It has a Knights Errant quality. There is an alternate universe in the books, a martial forest that exists alongside the real world, full of wandering sword fighters, medicine men, defrocked priests, poets, sorcerers and Shaolin renegades."
"It's so vast and rich, and I found characters from the second and third books in the series to create a most interesting stew while being as true to the source material as I could be."
In 2000, Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" successfully won over 40 awards, including the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, Best Art Direction, Best Original Score and Best Cinematography. It was also nominated for six other Academy Awards including Best Picture. In the U.S. alone, the movie grossed $128 million, becoming the highest-grossing foreign language pic in the history of American film industry.
- Baby Before Marriage? Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Reportedly Expecting Their First Child
- 'DWTS' Pair Sharna Burgess and Bonner Bolton Fuel Dating Rumors With Flirty Night Out
- Kevin Hart Creates Dimwitted Superhero in First Trailer for 'Captain Underpants'
- Drake Getting Sade's Face Tattooed on His Rib Amid Dating Rumors
- Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J's New Music Video for 'Cell Ready' Is Smoking Hot
- Inside Celine Dion's Diva Behavior on 'The Voice': 'She Was Extremely Entitled'
- Miley Cryrus and Liam Hemsworth Build Playground at Malibu House - Is Baby on the Way?
- 'Spider-Man' Spin-Off About Black Cat and Silver Sable Is in Development