'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' Sequel in the Works for May Start Date
A sequel to Ang Lee's critically-acclaimed wuxia film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is underway. Developed at The Weinstein Company, the follow-up to the 2000 movie is set to kick off filming this May in Asia. Lee will not return as the helmer as TWC is approaching veteran Chinese filmmaker, Ronny Yu, to serve behind the lens.
According to Deadline, the sequel is derived from the same source material in Lee's original film and will be based on "Silver Vase, Iron Knight", the fifth book of Wang Du Lu's Crane-Iron Pentalogy. The sequel will continue the story of Yu Shu Lien, played by Michelle Yeoh in the first film. It is still unclear whether she would return to the next movie.
The script, meanwhile, is written by John Fusco and Harvey Weinstein himself is serving as the producer. Of his involvement in the untitled Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel, Fusco said, "This was an opportunity to explore a lifelong passion I've had for Wu Sia, and if there wasn't continuing source material, I would never have gotten involved."
As for the plot, the scribe dished, "This introduces a new generation of star-crossed lovers, and a new series of antagonists in a battle of good and evil. It has a Knights Errant quality. There is an alternate universe in the books, a martial forest that exists alongside the real world, full of wandering sword fighters, medicine men, defrocked priests, poets, sorcerers and Shaolin renegades."
"It's so vast and rich, and I found characters from the second and third books in the series to create a most interesting stew while being as true to the source material as I could be."
In 2000, Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" successfully won over 40 awards, including the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, Best Art Direction, Best Original Score and Best Cinematography. It was also nominated for six other Academy Awards including Best Picture. In the U.S. alone, the movie grossed $128 million, becoming the highest-grossing foreign language pic in the history of American film industry.
- Corey Gamble Reportedly Cheats on Kris Jenner With Kourtney Kardashian - Is It True?
- She's Scarily Skinny! Janice Dickinson Looks Thinner Amid Health Crisis
- Drake Blocks Ariana Grande and Blake Shelton From Billboard 200's No. 1
- Bella Hadid Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Racy Bikini. See the Pic!
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Cradle Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Baby During Brunch
- Jeff Bridges Joins 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'
- Demi Lovato Mourning Her Great-Grandma's Death. Read Her Touching Tribute
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Party in Las Vegas, Talk About Wedding Plans