Report: 'Star Wars Episode 7' Finds Its Director in J.J. Abrams
Has "Star Wars Episode 7" found its director? On Thursday, January 24, The Wrap sparked online frenzy as it revealed that Walt Disney Pictures/LucasFilm had tapped none other than J.J. Abrams to helm their much-talked-about space saga movie project.
The report about Abrams' recruitment came as a big surprise, considering the fact that he's the helmer of the "Star Trek" film franchise, which has long been dubbed the rival of "Star Wars". Besides, he had once publicly claimed that he's not interested in taking the big job.
The Wrap also reported that Ben Affleck was in contention to tackle the prestigious directing gig. However, it was said that LucasFilm Chief Kathleen Kennedy had been setting her eyes on Abrams, who's famed for his works in big film and TV franchise such as "Mission: Impossible 3", "Super 8", "Lost", "Fringe" and "Alias".
As for now, Abrams already has some producing gigs lining up on his list. He, however, is not committed to direct any title after wrapping "Star Trek Into Darkness". Words are, he will jump right into "Episode VII", which has tapped Michael Arndt as the scribe and is scheduled to be released Stateside sometime in 2015.
Back in November, Abrams told Hollywood Life, "Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time. I frankly feel that - I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series."
Indicating that he wouldn't helm the next "Star Wars", Abrams added, "I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn't have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens News
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off