Anderson Cooper and Aretha Franklin Defend Beyonce's Lip-Sync at Obama Inauguration
In the midst of all the brouhaha following Beyonce Knowles's lip-synced performance at the Obama inauguration, CNN anchor Anderson Cooper offered his two cents worth on the issue via "The Ridiculist" segment on his CNN show "Anderson Cooper 360". The well-respected journalist snapped back with "so what?!" adding, "It's Beyonce's world and we're all just living in it."
"We got to look at Beyonce's beautiful face and hear Beyonce's beautiful voice singing the national anthem. There is one thing we should be saying today and that's, 'Thank you, Beyonce.'," Cooper simply put it. The journalist referred to 90's duo Milli Vanilli who became infamous for using ghost singers in their music, and Ashlee Simpson who screwed up her performance on "Saturday Night Live" many years ago, for his take on the Beyonce lip-syncing controversy.
In a similarly "funny" mood was legendary singer Aretha Franklin who came to the defense of the "Single Ladies" singer. "I thought it was funny because the weather down there was about 46 or 44 degrees and for most singers that is just not good singing weather," the diva said, before adding, "She did a beautiful job with the pre-record ... next time I'll probably do the same."
An inaugural official confirmed earlier reports that Beyonce did not sing the national anthem live during the Monday, January 21 inauguration event. The official, who asked not to be named, said it was Beyonce's decision to use her pre-recorded performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner".
"Because she didn't have time to rehearse with the Marine Band, she decided to use her recording with the Marine Band," the official said before adding, "It was all Beyonce." Apparently, the ear piece that she dramatically removed midway into her rendition, was there to help her synchronize her lip movements with the recorded music.
Anderson Cooper comments on Beyonce's lip-sync at Obama inauguration:
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs