Fans Defend Harry Styles After He's Nominated for NME's Villain of the Year
NME Awards has revealed its nominees this year. As soon as it unveiled the names, it got the ire of millions of Directioners who learned that their beloved One Direction was nominated for Worst Band while it's most prominent member Harry Styles got the nod for Villain of the Year.
As expected, Directioners were outraged at the least desired nominations, as they expressed their sentiments online via Twitter. They bashed NME in their defense of their idols, especially since the publication has not indicated the reasons for choosing Styles and 1D for the ill-received nominations.
A user called @michaelwood wrote, "That One Direction are up for Worst band at the NME awards says more about the lamentable state of the NME than it does One Direction." Meanwhile, @nouisandme added, "ONE DIRECTION WERE NOMINATED AS THE WORST BAND AT NME...IDK I DONT UNDERSTAND."
On the other hand, a fan named @_Icantchange tweeted, "HARRY STYLES NOMINATED FOR NME'S VILLAIN OF THE YEAR' excuse you? Harry is a cupcake, the most caring, loving and adorable kid out there," while @charlgraham said, "@NME i don't understand why harry styles is up for villain of the year."
The British-Irish boyband member and ex-boyfriend to Taylor Swift is up for the "award" along with U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron, electronic musician Skrillex, Spector's frontman Fred Macpherson, hip-hop artist Azealia Banks and Korean YouTube sensation PSY.
Styles, together with his One Direction group mates Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson, are also nominated alongside rock band Muse, folk rock band Mumford & Sons and indie rock quartet alt-J for the Worst Band title.
Oddly, solo artists Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran were also nominated in the same category. It's 1D's second time to be singled-out for Worst Band, which they won last year while losing out to Bieber's "Under the Mistletoe" for Worst Album.
This year's NME Awards will be held at the O2 Academy in Newcastle, England on February 7. The Rolling Stones, Tame Impala, Haim and M.I.A. lead this year's awards with four nominations each.
More Harry Styles News
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton