Selena Gomez Covers Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me a River' and More Break-Up Hits
After Justin Bieber covered Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me a River" back in November last year following his first break-up with girlfriend Selena Gomez, it was now the 20-year-old actress/singer's turn to do her own rendition of the 2002 break-up anthem. The young pop star covered the song during her performance at the third annual Unicef charity concert in New York Saturday night, January 19.
"I've been through a lot the past few months. It's been weird and sad and cool," Gomez said in her short spiel in front of the crowd. Then she confessed, "This song definitely speaks to me," right before she sang the stripped-down version of Timberlake's hit break-up track.
Gomez followed it up with another break-up tune, the more recent hit "I Knew You Were Trouble", originally sang by no less than her own bestfriend Taylor Swift, who incidentally, is also suffering a broken heart nowadays, having split from One Direction boy band member Harry Styles. "It's by my best friend in the entire world and if anybody has felt anything painful to their heart, they know who this girl is. Sing along if you know it," said Gomez.
Gomez also did her rendition of Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time", perhaps alluding to her upcoming film with Vanessa Hudgens and James Franco, "Spring Breakers", which is filled-with Britney Spears covers. If the lyrics of the song will be referenced, it might also be interpreted as Gomez willing to give The Biebs and their on-again-off-again relationshiop another chance.
More Selena Gomez News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie