Prince to Be Honored With Billboard Icon Award
Grammy award-winning singer-songwriter Prince will be honored at the Billboard Music Awards on May 19 during its live broadcast from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The legendary artist is set to receive the Icon Award and will also be performing on stage in a rare television appearance that will be broadcast on ABC.
Prince is the third recipient of the Billboard Icon Award, next to last year's awardee Stevie Wonder and its first-ever recipient Neil Diamond. The award will be quite a distinction for the 54-year-old artist, considering the Billboard Music Awards is regarded as one of the most prestigious award-giving bodies in music, second only to the Grammys.
Just a couple of months before he is presented with the Billboard Icon Award, the "Purple Rain" singer will receive a star-studded tribute to be staged at the Carnegie Hall in New York on March 7. The special tribute will be the 7th in a series of tribute concerts produced by philanthropist and impresario Michael Dorf, intended to raise funds for music education programs for underprivileged youth.
Prince has produced ten platinum albums and thirty Top 40 singles in his music career. He has his own recording studio label and writes, self-produces and plays most, if not all, of the instruments on his recordings.
Just last week, the pop-rock superstar's new funky, mid-tempo track "Same Page, Different Book" was leaked online via a mysterious Twitter account, which also posted the new track on its YouTube channel.
More Prince News
- Madonna Is 'Getting Serious' With Her New Toy Boy
- Is Angelina Jolie Adopting More Children Following Brad Pitt Divorce?
- Is Kim Kardashian Exiting 'KUWTK' for Politics?
- Rita Ora Releases New Single 'Your Song'
- Beyonce Demands a Silent Birth
- 'Teen Mom' Star Amber Portwood Confirms Sex Tape Negotiations
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Butt and Sideboob in Another Yacht Date With Younes Bendjima
- NBC Pushes Jennifer Lopez's 'Bye Bye Birdie Live!' to 2018