'Django Unchained' Dolls Spark Protest, Producers Ask to Stop the Production
The controversy surrounding the slavery theme of "Django Unchained" still hasn't stopped nearly a month after the movie was released Stateside. On Friday, January 18, producers of the movie ordered to stop the production of action figures based on the Quentin Tarantino-directed Western pic following criticisms that those toys were offending the African-Americans.
Previously, a number of African-American groups blasted the Oscar-nominated movie for depicting slavery and violence. Among those attacking the film was Al Sharpton's National Action Network president K.W. Tulloss, who told New York Times, "Selling this doll is highly offensive to our ancestors and the African-American community."
"The movie is for adults, but these are action figures that appeal to children," Tullos claimed. "We don't want other individuals to utilize them for their entertainment, to make a mockery of slavery."
Responding to the criticism, the producing company of "Django", The Weinstein Co., released a statement Friday, saying it had ordered to halt the production of the dolls. "We have tremendous respect for the audience and it was never our intent to offend anyone," it explained.
The controversial 8-inch dolls consist of six figures, Django, his wife Broomhilda, bounty hunter Schultz, evil plantation owner Candie, as well as Stephen and Butch. They were sold by the National Entertainment Collectibles Association and were intended for 17 years old and older. The toy company hasn't made any comment regarding the issue.
"Django" opened in the U.S. last Christmas Day and became the highest-grossing Tarantino movie in the States as it took in more than $130 million so far. This was not the first time action figures were made based on a Tarantino film. Previously, there were toys produced based on his 2009 hit "Inglourious Basterds".
- 'Outlander' Casts Older Fergus for Season 3
- That's What You Call Karma! Blac Chyna Leaks Rob Kardashian's Phone Number
- Listen to Tinashe and GTA's Sexy New Single 'All Caught Up'
- Angelina Jolie Enlists the Real Olivia Pope for Brad Pitt Divorce
- Report: Kim Kardashian Is Making Another Sex Tape and Opening a High-End Nude Resort
- Want to Meet Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford on 'Blade Runner 2' Set? Here's How to Win the Trip
- Bryce Dallas Howard Denies Chris Pratt Feud Rumors: I 'Worship' Him
- Zayn Malik Shaves His Beard - See How His Fans React!