'Godzilla' Producers Strike Back at Legendary With Their Own Lawsuit
Former "Godzilla" producers Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Doug Davison have fired back at Legendary Pictures after they were recently sued by the studio, which asked their names to be removed completely from the reboot project. The trio filed their own lawsuit on Thursday, January 17, attempting to stop the production of the much-anticipated monster movie.
Submitting their docs in Los Angeles Superior Court, those producers accused Legendary of breach of contract among other counts. The three sought a jury trial and millions in damages, naming Legendary COO Jon Jashni as a defendant, Deadline reported. Meanwhile, the studio's CEO Thomas Tull was not mentioned in the suit.
"By this action, Cross-Complainants seek a judicial declaration that the never-discussed arbitration provision in the unsigned draft agreement is not enforceable and that this dispute must be tried before a jury in the Los Angeles Superior Court," said the suit.
It went, "More importantly, Cross-Complainants seek substantial compensatory damages, in the millions of dollars, resulting from Legendary's material breach of its agreement to pay them the fixed and contingent compensation to which they are contractually entitled."
"Cross-Complainants seek specific performance of Legendary's agreement to accord them screen credit and allow them to participate in prequels, sequels, and remakes or, if such relief is unavailable, recovery of the substantial damages resulting from the loss of such credit and opportunities."
Just last week, Legendary filed its suit, alleging the producers of not contributing much in the "Godzilla" project and stating that their involvement ws no longer needed. The company insisted that the three were only entitled to the $25,000 based on a March 2011 Producer Loan Agreement between the trio and the studio.
The studio also wanted the court to "order arbitration to stop a potential temporary restraining order by the defendants against the film's production." It added, "This dispute... concerns Defendants' assertion that they are entitled to substantial producing fees and backened compensation on the Film."
To open in the U.S. on may 16, 2014, "Godzilla" has yet to announce its cast ensemble. Serving as the director is Gareth Edwards with Drew Pearce, Frank Darabont and Max Borenstein penning the script.
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs