Video: 'Parenthood' Star Erika Christensen Defends Scientology
Erika Christensen addresses false stories about Scientology. "One, that we are some kind of closed group. Two, that we are the Hollywood religion and three, that we worship rabbits," so the "Parenthood" star says of three big misconceptions about the church.
Sitting down with her co-star Joy Bryant on her web-series "Across the Board", the Julia Braverman-Graham depicter fiercely denies outrageous claims against the church. "If I had to sum it up, the goal of Scientology is giving the person back to themselves. Like, your own power of choice," she explains.
Of how she would expose the religion to her kids, she says, "I would expose to them, like, this is what I do, which is how my parents did it, because my parents are Scientologists. When I was like seven, they did like this demonstration. There is this thing in Scientology, it's a study method to demonstrate things out. I would give them the option, of like, these are our study tools. You can use them in school, get good grades, learn."
Scientology has faced its fair share of controversies in the past few months following Tom Cruise's divorce from Katie Holmes.
Most recently, Pulitzer-winning author Lawrence Wright narrated a disturbing story about his ties to the church including his belief that he's on earth to save humanity from aliens hiding inside people's bodies. It's claimed that the church helped him get rid of Mimi Rogers and audition candidates for his next wife after Nicole Kidman split.
Those claims have vehemently been dismissed by the church. "Wright's book would be better suited for supermarket tabloids because they are nothing more than a stale rehash of allegations disproven long ago," said Karin Pouw, a rep for the church.
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie