Report: Warner Bros. Wants to Reboot Steven Spielberg's 'Gremlins'
Following recent trend to reboot popular film franchises, Warner Bros. Pictures reportedly wants to resurrect its 1984 hit movie "Gremlins". Breaking the news is Vulture, which states that the studio is negotiating with Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment to remake the horror comedy pic.
Words are, the negotiation has been taking place for years. However, closing a deal with Spielberg was not that easy since it "always proved too daunting a financial prospect". Besides, his creative involvement would be required if the studio wants to reboot the film. Still, Vulture's sources claim that the project "might just actually come off this time."
In the original movie, Spielberg only served as the producer alongside Michael Finnelli. Serving behind the lens was Joe Dante, while "Harry Potter" helmer Chris Columbus penned the script. The film revolved around a guy who got a strange creature called a mogwai as a pet, which then spawned other creatures who transformed into small, destructive, evil monsters.
Made with a budget of only $11 million, "Gremlins" garnered a commercial success as it bagged $153 million worldwide. Should the reboot plan go on track, it is unlikely that Spielberg will jump to the director seat. Refusing to weigh in on the report, the "Lincoln" director's representative says that "the appropriate executives were not available for comment."
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'
- So, This Is Apparently Why Jennifer Lopez Broke Up With Casper Smart
- Helen Mirren in Talks to Join New 'Nutcracker' Movie, Sarah Paulson Eying a Role in 'Ocean's Eight'
- Young Thug's 'No, My Name Is Jeffery' Album Cover Sparks Hilarious Memes