Frank Ocean, 'Honey Boo Boo' and 'ParaNorman' Nominated for 2013 GLAAD Media Awards
The nominees for this year's GLAAD Media Awards have been announced. Among those competing for the prizes are rap singer Frank Ocean, controversial TV series "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" and animated comedy horror movie "ParaNorman".
Fresh off his six nominations at the 2013 Grammy Awards, the Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All member is one of the candidates for the recipient of Outstanding Music Artist. He's vying for the award against Adam Lambert, Gossip, Rufus Wainwright and Scissor Sisters.
Although many slammed the reality show about Honey Boo Boo and her family for being "outrageous" and "exploitative," GLAAD didn't see it that way. The show is up for Outstanding Reality Program, thanks to "It Is What It Is" episode that saw the family welcoming very special baby Kaitlyn.
In the wake of its Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature, "ParaNorman" nabs a nod for Outstanding Film in Wide Release category. It faces off "Cloud Atlas", "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel", "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and "Your Sister's Sister".
In Outstanding Drama Series, "Degrassi" is competing against "Grey's Anatomy", "The L.A. Complex", "Smash" and "True Blood". In Outstanding Comedy Series, there are "Glee", "Go On", "Happy Endings", "Modern Family" and "The New Normal" on the list.
"Images and stories from the LGBT community continue to push support for equality to historic levels," says GLAAD president Herndon Graddick. "Now more than ever, viewers not only accept gay and transgender characters and plot lines, they expect them - just as they both accept and expect LGBT people to be a valuable part of their everyday lives."
Winners will be lauded at the 24th annual GLAAD Media Awards ceremonies that will be held in New York on March 16 at the New York Marriott Marquis; in Los Angeles on April 20 at the JW Marriott; and in San Francisco on May 11 at the Hilton Union Square.
Outstanding Film - Wide Release:
- "Cloud Atlas" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
- "ParaNorman" (Focus Features)
- "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
- "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" (Summit Entertainment)
- "Your Sister's Sister" (IFC Films)
- "Any Day Now" (Music Box Films)
- "Keep the Lights On" (Music Box Films)
- "Mosquita y Mari" (Wolfe Releasing)
- "Musical Chairs" (Paladin)
- "North Sea Texas" (Strand Releasing)
- "Degrassi" (TeenNick)
- "Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)
- "The L.A. Complex" (The CW)
- "Smash" (NBC)
- "True Blood" (HBO)
- "Don't Ask, Don't Tell Me What to Do" - "Raising Hope" (Fox)
- "Family Matters" - "Drop Dead Diva" (Lifetime)
- "L'Affaire Du Coeur" - "Franklin & Bash" (TNT)
- "Lost and Found" - "Touch" (Fox)
- "Ruby Slippers" - "The Mentalist" (CBS)
- "American Horror Story: Asylum" (FX)
- "Hit and Miss" (DirecTV)
- "Political Animals" (USA)
- "Chely Wright: Wish Me Away" (First Run Features)
- "Codebreaker" (TODpix)
- "Hit So Hard" (Variance Films)
- "How to Survive a Plague" (Sundance Selects)
- "Vito" (HBO)
- "The Amazing Race" (CBS)
- "It Is What It Is" - "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" (TLC)
- "The Real L Word" (Showtime)
- "Small Town Security" (AMC)
- "Welcome to Hollywood" - "Pregnant in Heels" (Bravo)
- "At Home with Neil Patrick Harris, His Fiance David Burtka, & Their Twins" - "Oprah's Next Chapter" (OWN)
- "Autoshop Restores Bullied Gay Student's Car for Free" - "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" (syndicated)
- "Bishop Gene Robinson" - "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" (Comedy Central)
- "The Husband Who Is Now a Woman and the Daughter Who Is Now a Son" - "The Jeff Probst Show" (syndicated)
- "Marriage Equality" - "The Suze Orman Show" (CNBC)
- "Almost Equal" - Chronicle (WCVB TV-5 [Boston, Mass.])
- "Being Transgender in America" - Melissa Harris-Perry (MSNBC)
- "End of an Error" - The Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC)
- "Golden Star" - Rock Center with Brian Williams (NBC) "The Last Closet" - Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel (HBO)
- "Civil Rights Icon Supports Gay Marriage" - "CNN Newsroom" (CNN)
- "Controversial Pastor Preaches Against Gays" - "Anderson Cooper 360" (CNN)
- "Matthew Mitcham Olympics Profile" - "NBC Olympics" (NBC)
- "Obama Endorses Marriage Equality" - "Good Morning America" (ABC)
- "Scout Mom Dismissed" - "MSNBC Live (MSNBC)
- Adam Lambert - "Trespassing"
- Frank Ocean - "Channel Orange"
- Gossip - "A Joyful Noise"
- Rufus Wainwright - "Out of the Game"
- Scissor Sisters - "Magic Hour"
- Khloe Kardashian Sparks Engagement Rumors After Spotted With Diamond Ring
- 'The Foreigner' Trailer: Jackie Chan Get Revenge on Pierce Brosnan
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Call It Quits
- Alleged Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Collab 'Steal Our Love' Leaks Online
- New Couple Alert? Katy Perry and Chris Martin Are Spotted Holding Hands
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed