SXSW 2013 Lineup: 'Burt Wonderstone', 'Evil Dead', 'Spring Breakers' and More
Just a few days before Sundance kicks off, the 2013 SXSW Film Festival announced its early lineup on Tuesday, January 15. Star-studded magician comedy "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" will serve as the opener for the fest, which will start on March 8. The movie itself will open Stateside a few days later on March 15.
"Everyone knows that we like have a good time at SXSW, and our 20th year is already well on track with smart, stylish and highly entertaining work," SXSW Film Conference and Festival Producer, Janet Pierson, said in a statement. "Though this is just a taste of what SXSW 2013 will have to offer, what better way to get the party started than with 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone,' which had us laughing our heads off, despite an 8 A.M. Monday viewing."
Apart from "Burt Wonderstone", the upcoming Austin film festival will also have the headline-grabbing remake of Sam Raimi's horror pic "Evil Dead". Harmony Korine's "Spring Breakers" will also hold its U.S. premiere at the event, while Olivia Wilde's other film "Drinking Buddies" is set to have its world premiere.
In addition to the film screenings, SXSW will host conversations with some famous people in the entertainment industry, including native Texan Matthew McConaughey and acting coach Jefffrey Tambor. A&E's pilot, "Bates Motel", will also hold a presentation in which it will reveal exclusive footage.
This year's SXSW will take place from March 8 to 16 in Austin, Texas. The full slate of films will be announced January 31.
2013 SXSW Film Festival Lineup:
- "Downloaded" (World Premiere) - Director: Alex Winter
- "Drinking Buddies" (World Premiere) - Director/Screenwriter: Joe Swanberg, Cast: Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson, Anna Kendrick, Ron Livingston
- "Everyone's Going to Die" (World Premiere) - Director/Screenwriter: Jones, Cast: Nora Tschirner, Rob Knighton, Kellie Shirley, Madeline Duggan (United Kingdom)
- "Evil Dead" (World Premiere) - Director: Fede Alvarez, Screenwriters: Fede Alvarez & Rodo Sayagues, Cast: Jane Levy, Shiloh Fernandez, Lou Taylor Pucci, Jessica Lucas, Elizabeth Blackmore
- "Good Ol' Freda" (World Premiere) - Director: Ryan White
- "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" (World Premiere) - Director: Don Scardino, Screenwriters: Jonathan Goldstein & John Francis Daley, Cast: Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, Olivia Wilde, with Alan Arkin, James Gandolfini and Jim Carrey
- "Spring Breakers" (U.S. Premiere) - Director/Screenwriter: Harmony Korine, Cast: James Franco, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine
In addition to nine full days of film screenings, SXSW Film will ultimately feature over 150 informative and entertaining featured Conversations, panels, workshops and mentor sessions. Major additions to the 2013 Conference include:
- A Conversation with Matthew McConaughey - An in-depth discussion with the actor, including his bold choices with recent projects like "Magic Mike", "Killer Joe", "Bernie" and "Mud"
- Humanizing Heroes: Storytelling Beyond Sports - The leading authorities behind some of today's most notable sports films discuss the evolution of storytelling in sports filmmaking, its influence on pop culture and its continued resonance across all cultures and backgrounds.
- "Bates Motel: Story to Screen" with Carlton Cuse - In a Special Event combining the SXSW Film Festival and Conference in one, attendees will get an exclusive first look at the pilot of Bates Motel.
- Jeffrey Tambor's Acting Workshop - Jeffrey Tambor continues the tradition of his much loved acting and life workshop by returning to SXSW Film 2013.
- Ivanka Trump's Brother-In-Law Joshua Kushner Joined Women's March on Washington
- Like It or Not, Donald Trump's Inauguration Draws Second Biggest Ratings in 36 Years
- Madonna Defends 'Blowing Up the White House' Remark as Secret Service Is Planning to Investigate Her
- Is 'Once Upon a Time' Preparing a Musical Episode in Season 6?
- 'Split' Tops Domestic Box Office, 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Hits $1 Billion Worldwide
- Possible First Look at Superman's Black Suit in 'Justice League' Unveiled
- The Weeknd's 'Starboy' Stays at No. 1, The xx's 'I See You' Nabs Second Place on Billboard 200
- Keke Palmer Accuses Trey Songz of 'Sexual Intimidation' for Including Her in His Video