Nicki Minaj on 'American Idol' Feud With Mariah Carey: 'It Was Just Two Big Old Divas'
Days leading to the season 12 premiere of "American Idol", Nicki Minaj talked to Ellen DeGeneres about her feud with Mariah Carey on the show's set. Asked what led to the argument, she initially responded, "I don't know. It was just two big old divas, I guess."
The Young Money femcee then went on detailing, "I was just like sitting there, and I guess before I went in there I heard all the stuff that was being said, but I didn't believe it. I heard them saying 'Mariah doesn't want you on the panel' but I was like, 'No. I am friends with Mariah.' "
"I was like arguing people down. Like, 'Don't believe everything you read, you're crazy.' And so I went there and I started to feel a bit of the shade. And I just kind of overcompensated by being crazier."
She also admitted that her outburst was a form of defense mechanism. "If you know someone maybe doesn't like you, it's kind of like, now you're gonna really go in...because it's like a defense mechanism. You know what I mean? It's really that," she revealed. "Your feelings are hurt and you can't believe it, so you kind of just compensate with being crazy."
Asked how her relationship with Mariah now, Nicki said, "We're fine. I cannot hold a grudge against Mariah Carey." She added, "So I don't know if she's gotten over it but I have. I mean, I'm over there cracking up laughing, having fun and if she's still holding a grudge. I don't know. Like I don't care."
The "Starships" raptress claimed that Mariah was one of people who have inspired her, saying, "What people don't understand is that I've looked up to her for so many years. Since she came out, 'Vision of Love' all that. Me and my mother would sing her songs like all day and all night."
During the interview that will air on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" January 15, she also confessed that she's a bit worried about "Idol" live shows. "Just like if there's a slick comment being made, I just want it to go well. It's about the contestants. We have a lot of great talent, and I don't want anyone on the panel to say something too crazy because then I don't want to look like a crazy psycho again. I am not really a crazy psycho, you guys," she shared.
The new installment of "Idol" will premiere Wednesday, January 16 on FOX. Nicki and Mariah will join Keith Urban and the only original judge, Randy Jackson, on the judging panel.
- Black Eyed Peas Remakes 'Where Is the Love' With Usher, Jaden Smith and More for Charity
- Emma Roberts Goes Topless for Mario Testino's Towel Series Shot
- Hot Mama! Bar Refaeli Flaunts Her Bikini Body Just Three Weeks After Giving Birth
- ABC Reveals Nick Viall as the Next Bachelor and Spoils the Result of His 'Paradise' Stint
- New 'Doctor Strange' Featurette Offers New Details About Ancient One, Mordo and Kaecilius
- Watch Usher and Future in 'Rivals' Music Video
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: Jared and Caila Prove Their Strong Bond With Bold Move
- Kim Kardashian Flashes Nipples in Intriguing Ensemble During an Outing in NYC