Anne Hathaway to Star in Modern Retelling of Shakespeare's 'Taming of the Shrew'
After garnering critical acclaim for her acting stint in "Les Miserables", Anne Hathaway already prepares herself for a new high-end film project. The Wrap reports that the Catwoman of "The Dark Knight Rises" is sealed to star in "Taming of the Shrew", which is an adaptation of William Shakespeare's play.
The new project already has Abi Morgan working to pen the script. The scribe, who worked for such films as "The Iron Lady" and "Shame", will adapt the story into a modern-day setting. The original Shakespeare play itself was set in mid-20th century in Italy. Serving as the producer is Debra Hayward.
As for Hathaway, it is still unclear what role she is set to tackle. Her representative declines to comment on the actress' casting report. Apart from this project, Hathaway still has no new project in production post-"Les Mis". She will next lend her voice to Jewel in "Rio 2".
"Taming of the Shrew" has been adapted into the big screen and Broadway shows for several times. In 1951, Cole Porter adapted the story on stage in "Kiss Me, Kate" and was later revived in 1952 and 1999.
In 1967, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton starred in a movie adaptation of the classic. A modern retelling of "Shrew" was made in 1999 via Gil Junger's "10 Things I Hate About You" which starred Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles.
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers