Zack Snyder NOT Working on New 'Star Wars' Based on 'Seven Samurai'
Earlier on Monday, January 14, there was an Internet frenzy as news broke out that Zack Snyder was preparing a new "Star Wars" movie that had no connection to the upcoming trilogy. Quickly responding to the gossip, Snyder's rep released a statement to clarify that the "Man of Steel" helmer was not working on the space saga franchise.
To The Hollywood Reporter, the rep claimed, "While he is super-flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars. He is currently in post on his two films, Man of Steel and 300: Battle of Artemisia [now known as '300: Rise of an Empire']." The rep confirmed that Snyder wouldn't work in Episode VII, VIII, IX or any spin-off of "Star Wars".
Previously, Vulture sparked the rumor as it reported that the "Sucker Punch" helmer worked on a "Star Wars" pic. The said project, however, was not designed as part of the planned new trilogy, but it would be some kind of a spin-off which would be in the vein of Japanese classic "The Seven Samurai".
Back in November, Snyder pointed out that he wouldn't do the project though he's a massive fan of the famous space tale. "I don't think I'd be interested in [directing it]," he told L.A. Times. "I'm a huge 'Star Wars' fanatic. I just think doing [episodes] seven, eight and nine is just a slippery slope. It's a whole other mythological experiment I'm excited to see, but it's a lot of effort."
Walt Disney/LucasFilm is currently developing "Star Wars Episode 7" for a 2015 release. It has tapped Oscar winner Michael Ardnt as its screenwriter, but is still looking for a right director.
More Rogue One: A Star Wars Story News
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son