J.J. Abrams on 'Star Trek 3' Updates: 'It's Just Ideas'
As "Star Trek Into Darkness" gets closer to its May release date, some fans are curious if J.J. Abrams already has something in his mind for the third "Star Trek" movie. Responding carefully to the question, the notoriously secretive director admitted that he hadn't prepared anything for the possible third installment.
"No, sir, not yet," he recently told Crave Online. "I'm sure that the studio would love that to be a possibility but it's up to the audience to decide if there needs to be one..." Noting that the script hasn't been pitched, Abrams said, "There are things we've talked about but there's no script or anything, it's just ideas."
Speaking about the upcoming "Into Darkness", Abrams was so tight-lipped as usual that he wouldn't even discuss the theme of the movie. "There's nothing worse for me than reading what the theme of a book is or a movie and then reading it and being like: that's the theme," he reasoned.
"The theme is you feel it... I do think that by default this a deeper movie," he went. "It's certainly a bigger movie because the first one was kind of the origin story which is great because it's so easy. You just introduce people and yet know each other so it has to go deeper."
Abrams acknowledged that it was not easier to work on the sequel especially with the new additions to the cast ensemble. " 'Oh, I've done that, it'll be easier the next time.' No, it's harder the next time," he claimed. "But it's important that every character needs to be in the story, otherwise they shouldn't be. But I wouldn't say it was easier."
Though it has been repeatedly denied that Benedict Cumberbatch would be playing Khan, some fans still believe that he would, judging from the new trailer which bares resemblance to a major scene in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan". Abrams weighed in on it, saying, "Well, I would say that you've got to see the movie to see."
"I don't want to give away what that is, but we've all seen Wrath of Khan," he added. "With one or two exceptions, we're not idiots. We are aware of the movie. I love Wrath of Khan."
"Star Trek Into Darkness" will open Stateside on May 17.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says