Sony 'Outraged' After an Academy Member Accuses 'Zero Dark Thirty' of Promoting Torture
Sony Pictures has finally weighed in on continuous debate about "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" torture scene. The studio's executive Amy Pascal released a statement on Friday, January 11 after an AMPAS member, David Clennon, accused the Osama bin Laden hunt movie of promoting torture. The member also said that he refused to vote for the film in the Oscars race.
Pascal claimed that the "attempt to censure one of the great films of our time should be opposed." The studio exec said in the strongly-worded statement, "We are outraged that any responsible member of the Academy would use their voting status in AMPAS as a platform to advance their own political agenda."
Pascal, who also serves as chairman of Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group, defended the Kathryn Bigelow-directed pic, "This film should be judged free of partisanship." She went on insisting that the movie "does not advocate torture."
On Wednesday, January 9, Clennon, an Academy member who is known for his political activism, unleashed a strong statement on truth-out.org, "At the risk of being expelled for disclosing my intentions, I will not be voting for 'Zero Dark Thirty' - in any Academy Awards category." He added, " 'Zero' never acknowledges that torture is immoral and criminal. It does portray torture as getting results."
Yesterday, "ZDT" had just snatched 5 Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Best Actress for Jessica Chastain and Best Original Screenplay for Mark Boal. Bigelow, however, was snubbed from Best Director category. Regarding Clennon's statement, the AMPAS refused to give any comment.
The 2013 Academy Awards will be held on February 24 at Hollywood & Highland Center.
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked