Sandra Bullock Honored at People's Choice Awards as Favorite Humanitarian
Sandra Bullock is the People's Choice of Favorite Humanitarian for her tireless philanthropic efforts particularly her contribution to the New Orleans's Warren Easton Charter High School. Bullock's good friend, actress Regina King, who was her co-star in her 2005 movie "Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous" introduced the highlight reel showing the humanitarian work of the highest paid actress in 2012.
Receiving the award at the famed Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, 48-year-old Bullock told the audience, "I'm not at all being modest when I say I'm not doing anything compared to what they do on a daily basis." She was her typical funny and humble self throughout her acceptance speech, wherein she joked about the tough principal at the charter high school as she mentioned the tireless dedication of the school's students and teachers. "I've seen her," she teased. "Yeah, you don't want to go into that office."
Bullock adopted Warren Easton Charter High School six months after it was hit by Hurricane Katrina back in 2005. The Oscar winning actress donated hundreds of thousands of dollars for the school's renovation after it sustained $4 million in damages. Her donation allowed the charter school, the first public high school for boys in Louisiana, to rebuild their school buildings and a new health clinic, and to buy new band uniforms and athletic equipment.
The multi-awarded actress' ties with New Orleans grew even stronger when in 2010, she adopted her son, Louis, who was from New Orleans, where Bullock also has a house in Garden District.
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism