Sandra Bullock Honored at People's Choice Awards as Favorite Humanitarian
Sandra Bullock is the People's Choice of Favorite Humanitarian for her tireless philanthropic efforts particularly her contribution to the New Orleans's Warren Easton Charter High School. Bullock's good friend, actress Regina King, who was her co-star in her 2005 movie "Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous" introduced the highlight reel showing the humanitarian work of the highest paid actress in 2012.
Receiving the award at the famed Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, 48-year-old Bullock told the audience, "I'm not at all being modest when I say I'm not doing anything compared to what they do on a daily basis." She was her typical funny and humble self throughout her acceptance speech, wherein she joked about the tough principal at the charter high school as she mentioned the tireless dedication of the school's students and teachers. "I've seen her," she teased. "Yeah, you don't want to go into that office."
Bullock adopted Warren Easton Charter High School six months after it was hit by Hurricane Katrina back in 2005. The Oscar winning actress donated hundreds of thousands of dollars for the school's renovation after it sustained $4 million in damages. Her donation allowed the charter school, the first public high school for boys in Louisiana, to rebuild their school buildings and a new health clinic, and to buy new band uniforms and athletic equipment.
The multi-awarded actress' ties with New Orleans grew even stronger when in 2010, she adopted her son, Louis, who was from New Orleans, where Bullock also has a house in Garden District.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake