Beyonce and Kelly Clarkson to Sing at President Obama's Inauguration
R'n'B-pop diva Beyonce Knowles, "American Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson and Grammy Award-winning artist James Taylor are just some of the artists tapped by re-elected U.S. president Barack Obama to perform the country's most patriotic songs during his upcoming inauguration ceremony on January 21. Beyonce is chosen to deliver the U.S. national anthem "The Star Spangled Banner", Kelly is selected to sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee" and James is invited again to perform "America the Beautiful".
From his candidacy and throughout his previous presidency, President Obama had always been supported by some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry. Both Beyonce and James are known to be longtime supporters of Obama. Beyonce first sang for the president four years ago during his first term, singing the Etta James classic "At Last" as the president danced with First Lady Michelle Obama during the inaugural ball. James performed in the White House and at the National Democratic Convention last year.
Kelly, currently a supporter of Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, claimed to have previously voted for Obama back in 2008. The first "Idol" winner tweeted that she's "excited and honored" to have been included in the roster of performers.
"Vice President Biden and I are honored to have these wonderfully talented musical artists perform at the Inaugural ceremony," Mr. Obama says in a statement following the announcement of performers invited to the inauguration ceremony. "Their music is often at the heart of the American story and speaks to folks across the country."
More Beyonce Knowles News
- Kim Kardashian Bares Serious Underboobs While Going Topless in This Raunchy Selfie
- Metallica, The Strokes, The Weeknd to Headline 2017 Lollapalooza South America
- Justin Bieber Is Reportedly Pursuing Pamela Anderson
- 'Fast and Furious' Helmer Justin Lin to Direct 'Hot Wheels' Movie
- Miley Cyrus Fills In for Sick Ellen DeGeneres. Watch Sneak Peek of Her Guest-Hosting Stint
- Kelly Clarkson and Chance The Rapper to Perform at White House's Christmas Tree Lighting
- Kim Kardashian Files Complaint Against Vitalii Sediuk Over Attempted Ambush
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Debuts Burgeoning Bump While Shopping for Baby in London