Ang Lee Confirms Interest in Directing Angelina Jolie in 'Cleopatra'
With his latest film "Life of Pi" becoming an Oscar hopeful, Ang Lee now sets the bar high for his next project. The acclaimed director who created "Brokeback Mountain" has confirmed his interest in directing A-list actress Angelina Jolie in another reimagining of "Cleopatra".
To The Hollywood Reporter, the Taiwanese filmmaker shared that the prestigious film project "just feels right to me." He said, "I'm about to read the script. It just feels right to me after all the other types of films I've done. What does it have in common with any of them? They're all totally different! That's what makes this perfect."
Before Lee was linked to the "Cleopatra" project, which has begun the development since 2010, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)" helmer David Fincher was tapped as the director. Fincher himself was the third filmmaker who decided to pass on the potential tentpole.
Back in October 2010, "Titanic" filmmaker James Cameron was attached to the gig, but he later let it go due to his commitment to the "Avatar" film franchise for 20th Century Fox. Later in January 2011, "The Bourne Ultimatum" director Paul Greengrass was tapped to shepherd to movie. However, he bailed out of the project in March the same year and it was not clear as to why he made the decision.
"Cleopatra" has hired Eric Roth to adapt Stacy Schiff's book "Cleopatra: A Life". The story sees the titular beauty icon as a firm ruler and military tactician who embarked on a ruthless rise to power. She twice married her brothers, killing each of them as well as a sister. Romantic alliances with the much-older Roman honchos Julius Caesar and Marc Antony helped her solidify power, but her dalliance with Antony undid both of them.
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed