'Arrested Development' Revival Will Premiere in May, Gets Additional Episodes
"Arrested Development" is coming back in May, Netflix has officially announced at the TCA winter press tour. The Internet streaming media, however, did not mention an exact date after previously shooting down report of a May 4 premiere date.
In addition to the premiere schedule, Netflix revealed that the revived comedy would return with 14 new episodes, up from the originally-planned 10 episodes. All of the new offerings will be released at the same time.
Taking the stage at the panel along with creator Mitch Hurwitz and other cast members, Jason Bateman said the new installments shouldn't be called a fourth season of the series. "It was mislabeled early on," he said. Instead, he called them "the first act of what we hope to continue and complete with a movie."
"These [new] are episodes set that up. One does not work without the other," he added. "It is certainly a satisfying conclusion to these episodes if for some reason a movie doesn't happen, but they are all meant to work within one another as a hybrid package of Arrested Development stuff."
On the story's structure, Hurwitz shared, "The only way we could get everybody for what we will loosely call an anthology was to dedicate each episode to a character's a point of view." Bateman explained, "Everybody intermingles throughout each individual person's episode. There's plenty of the regular cast that filters through there. But it is [a single character's episode] that we all just guest-star in."
Besides the original main cast that includes Bateman, Michael Cera, Will Arnett, Portia de Rossi and more, the show has tapped Liza Minnelli, Conan O'Brien, John Slattery, Isla Fisher, Terry Crews and Chris Diamantopoulos to reprise their guest-starring roles.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival