Jason Clarke Talks 'Very Scary' Waterboarding Simulation for 'Zero Dark Thirty'
The waterboarding scene in "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" has lately sparked debates among several parties. Weighing in on the controversial scene, Jason Clarke, the actor who appears in the said scene, took some time to discuss how he simulated the torturing procedure before filming the Osama bin Laden hunt movie.
To The Hollywood Reporter, the Australian actor shared that he researched a lot of investigation techniques in preparation to play a CIA agent in the Kathryn Bigelow-directed thriller. "I watched a lot of homicide investigations and interrogations, and so I had some idea of what a good interrogator means," he said.
Furthermore, Clarke admitted that he even simulated the waterboarding technique himself. "It's very different to the real thing, because there's a stop point," he went on describing. He opened up that the experience was "very similar to surfing and getting dumped by a big wave." He added, "It's very scary, there's a lot of water coming in, and it's just filling you up."
The "torture scene" issue was first brought into attention when Frank Brunni of The New York Times criticized the early sequence of the Osama bin Laden hunt film, which featured an agent named Dan (portrayed Clarke) went violent toward a detainee. "The movie shows a detainee being strung up by his wrists, sexually humiliated, deprived of sleep, made to feel as if he's drowning and shoved into a box smaller than a coffin," so Brunni wrote.
Since then, some senators began to slam the movie, urging Sony Pictures to add a disclaimer to the film. In an open letter written for the studio on Wednesday, December 19, those senators stated, "We believe the film is grossly inaccurate and misleading in its suggestion that torture resulted in information that led to the location of Osama bin Laden."
"Zero Dark Thirty is factually inaccurate, and we believe that you have an obligation to state that the role of torture in the hunt for Usama Bin Laden is not based on the facts, but rather part of the film's fictional narrative," so they claimed in the letter, which was addressed to Sony's Chairman and CEO Michael Lynton.
"Zero Dark Thirty" will expand to a wide release Stateside on January 11.
- Courteney Cox Regrets Having Plastic Surgery
- 'Jack Ryan' Series to Tackle ISIS in Season 1, John Krasinski Reveals
- Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart Break Up Again!
- 'Nashville' Season 5 Gets Premiere Date at CMT
- Doug Liman Abandons 'Gambit' Movie, Will Now Direct 'Justice League Dark'
- Kylie Jenner Bounces Back After Suffering From Food Poisoning
- AFI Cancels 'Birth of a Nation' Screening Amid Nate Parker Rape Trial Controversy
- Britney Spears Reveals She 'Almost Drowned' in Hawaii