DGA Awards 2013 Nominations: Ben Affleck to Compete Against Steven Spielberg
The nominations for the 2013 Directors Guild of America Awards have been announced, revealing stiff competitions between five A-list directors who made critically-acclaimed movies in 2012. They are Ben Affleck, Steven Spielberg, Kathryn Bigelow, Ang Lee and Tom Hooper.
Affleck nabbed his first ever DGA Award nomination thanks to his highly-praised hostage drama "Argo". Spielberg and Bigelow secured their nods for their works in "Lincoln" and "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" respectively. British filmmaker Hooper was nominated for "Les Miserables", while Taiwanese helmer Lee for "Life of Pi".
For Spielberg, the veteran filmmaker claimed his 11th DGA nomination this year. He had won the awards for 1994's "Schindler's List", 1999's "Saving Private Ryan", and had also received a lifetime achievement prize in 2000.
Commenting on his latest nomination, Spielberg said, "The privilege of making 'Lincoln,' combined with this absolutely tremendous recognition from my peers, is humbling." He gushed, "I thank everyone for including me on this short list of extremely unique and gifted filmmakers."
Of choosing those five filmmakers as the nominees, DGA President Taylor Hackford said, "These directors represent the highest standard of filmmaking, and their films are a testament to artistic achievement, innovative storytelling and the passion that filmmakers share with their audiences."
Among the highly-praised filmmakers which were snubbed by the DGA were "Django Unchained" helmer Quentin Tarantino and "Silver Linings Playbook" director David O. Russell. Nonetheless, both filmmakers still have a chance to win another prestigious Best Director gong at the upcoming Golden Globe Awards.
The winner of this year's DGA Awards will be revealed during a dinner ceremony on February 2 in Los Angeles, three weeks before the Oscars takes place. The event will be hosted by Kelsey Grammer.
2013 DGA Awards Nominees:
- Ben Affleck, "Argo"
- Kathryn Bigelow, "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)"
- Tom Hooper, "Les Miserables"
- Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"
- Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln"
More Argo News
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?