'Deception' Creator Describes Show as 'Donnie Brasco' Meets 'Sabrina'
"Deception" has drawn comparison to "Revenge" due to its premise, in which a young woman lives among a wealthy family to uncover their dark secrets. Answering people's curiosity if the new drama is NBC's answer to the ABC soap, creator Liz Heldens revealed the real inspiration behind her show.
"Two of my favorite movies are 'Donnie Brasco' and 'The Departed'," Heldens said at the TCA winter press tour on Sunday, January 6. "I was thinking, 'How can you do a undercover show with a female protagonist?' " She added, "I asked myself, 'Could 'Donnie Brasco' and the movie 'Sabrina' have a baby?' That was how it happened."
To premiere Monday, January 7 at 10/9c, "Deception" stars Meagan Good as Detective Joanna Locasto, who tries to reconnect to the Bowers after their daughter and Joanna's friend Vivian (Bree Williamson) was found dead of an overdose. FBI agent Will Moreno (Laz Alonso), however, is convinced that the troubled girl's death was a homicide.
Vivian has two brothers, Edward (Tate Donovan) and Julian (Wes Brown). Speaking of his alter ego, Donovan admited, "Everyone thinks he's this horrible monster." As for Brown's character Julian, Good described him as "the bad boy. He is the one that the girls just love. He's got a little bit of a fiery temper."
- Watch Fergie's 'M.I.L.F. $' Music Video Starring Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen
- Justin Bieber Posts Cryptic Message About Relationship, Says He'd 'Rather Be Lonely'
- Kim Kardashian on Butt Pads Allegations: 'I Don't Need Them'
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying if She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday