Artist of the Week: A$AP Rocky
A$AP Rocky is on the track to release his debut studio album amidst his recent legal issue. Set to hit stores in the U.S. on January 15, "LongLiveA$AP" has spawned two singles, "Goldie" and "F**kin' Problems".
Featuring Drake, 2 Chainz and Kendrick Lamar, the second single "F**kin' Problems" is more successful than its predecessor. The Noah Shebib and Sean Garrett-written track peaked at no. 24 on Billboard Hot 100 and no. 6 on Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, already reaching Gold status with more than 500,000 digital sales.
The album will be released under RCA Records and Polo Grounds Music, which along with Sony signed him up following the release of his hits "Peso" and "Purple Swag". Both songs were later included in his mixtape "LiveLoveA$AP", which was released in October 31, 2011.
On his way to reach stardom, the Harlem rapper was caught in the middle of an altercation that landed him in jail in July 2012. He was subsequently sued for assault, but the assault and robbery charges against him were dropped after he pleaded guilty to attempted grand larceny.
Refusing to capitalize on his fame to make easy money, the 24-year-old hip-hop star said he wouldn't follow the footsteps of other rappers who launch their own clothing lines. "I might collab with designers, but that s**t corny," he explained. "When rappers be doing that clothing line s**t, that s**t be corny man."
"That's a slow reality show. Ya know how reality shows wash n****s up? I feel that clothing line s**t is just a slower reality show. That s**t corny man...I'm not no fashion designer. Just 'cause I got good taste don't mean that I know how to create it. I feel that's disrespectful. It's just like record labels and s**t. Just cause motherf***ers know Hip Hop doesn't mean you know how to create it, motherf***er."
He went on claiming, "I know brands well, [but] I'm not a fashion designer. It's more to fashion than just fabrics and stencils. You gotta learn how to draw, you gotta know how colorways work and materials, it's hard, man. Hood clothing lines, I refuse man. I refuse. I'm good on that."
More A$AP Rocky News
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle