'Texas Chainsaw 3D' Claims Box Office Victory on First Weekend in 2013
"Texas Chainsaw 3D" claims victory on North American box office during the first weekend in 2013. Exceeding expectations in its debut, the thriller pic takes in $21.7 million amid the crowded box office race in which the film has to compete against a handful of critics' darling movies.
With the result, the seventh installment of the "Texas Chainsaw" film franchise scores one of the biggest openings for the first weekend in January for a horror movie. It, however, can't best last year's $33.7 million opening gained by "The Devil Inside" on the same January weekend.
"To reach this level is a very pleasant surprise," Lionsgate Films president of domestic distribution, Richie Fey, comments on the result. The movie itself receives a "C+" CinemaScore and attracts to 63% audience under the age of 25.
Landing on the runner-up spot is Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" with $20 million, falling only 33% from last week. Crossing the $100 million mark after two weeks of playing Stateside, the slavery era movie is on its way to become the biggest-grossing Tarantino movie in North America. So far, the record is held by "Inglourious Basterds" with $120 million domestic gross.
Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" falls to the third place with $17.5 million after reigning the chart for three weeks in a row. The Middle-earth tale film bags a massive total cume of $263.8 million domestically, and $820 million worldwide so far.
Securing the fourth and fifth places respectively are "Les Miserables" with $16 million and "Parental Guidance" with $9.7 million. The Tom Hooper-directed musical drama crosses its $100 million mark domestically in 13 days, which is the fastest for any musical pic. The Andy Fickman-helmed comedy, meanwhile, rakes in a total gross of $52.7 million in its second week.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for January 4-6:
- "Texas Chainsaw 3D" - $21.7 million
- "Django Unchained" - $20 million
- "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - $17.5 million
- "Les Miserables" - $16 million
- "Parental Guidance" - $9.7 million
- "Jack Reacher" - $9.1 million
- "This Is 40" - $8.3 million
- "Lincoln" - $5.4 million
- "The Guilt Trip" (3D) - $4.4 million
- "Promised Land" - $4 million
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7: Major Spoiler About Daenerys Leaked
- Emma Roberts and Ex Evan Peters Spark Reconciliation Rumors After Spotted Together
- Taylor Swift NOT Hooking Up With Todrick Hall
- Katy Perry Unveils Three 'Rise' Remixes
- New 'Empire' Season 3 Trailer Gives First Look at Mariah Carey's Kitty
- New 'Thor: Ragnarok' Set Pics Reveal Thor and Loki's Costume and Tease a Mystery Character
- Cara Delevingne Goes Bottomless to Raise Awareness for Cancer. See the Racy Snap
- Kim and Kourtney Throw Pampering Session for Khloe Kardashian Following Her Second Divorce Filing