Azealia Banks Slammed by GLAAD After Hurling Homophobic Slur at Perez Hilton
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation group has spoken out about Azealia Banks calling Perez Hilton a "fa**ot." They react to the female rapper's insistence that it wasn't homophobic slur, saying, "Banks' claim that the word 'fa**ot' doesn't mean a gay male is not true."
"Regardless of her intent or her personal definition, what matters is the meaning given to that word by those who hear it, and the damage it causes when they do. Undoubtedly there are gay kids who follow her on Twitter who hear this word in an entirely different context."
"This word is used almost universally by bullies, often as part of a larger verbal or physical assault. This word hurts those kids, no matter what Banks meant by it," GLAAD continues, before listing incidents across the country that shows that "fa**ot" is used as "a derogatory word for gay men."
Azealia threw such insult at the celebrity blogger after he sided with her rap rival Angel Haze in their heated feud that led to a war of diss tracks. She's unapologetic, but did say sorry to anyone who felt offended, "My most sincere apologies to anyone who was indirectly offended by my foul language. Not sorry for Perez tho. Lol"
"A f****t is not a homosexual male. A f****t is any male who acts like a female. There's a BIG difference," she added. "Really not as moved by this f word thing as u all want me to be. As a bisexual person I knew what I meant when I used that word. And I meant what I meant when I used that word."
Meanwhile, the catfight between Azealia and Angel started after the former tweeted, "Seriously, if you were not born and raised in NY.... DON'T CLAIM NY. YOU ARE NOT A NEW YORKER." Detroit-born Angel, who released "New York" video last summer, felt the message was directed at her.
Angel fired back at Azealia in Diplo-produced song "On the Edge", which was answered by the "212" rapper in a diss track of her own called "No Problems". The feud between the two continued as Angel rapped "Shut the F**k Up" to the NY femcee in another song.
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps
- These Photos of Jim Carrey and Late Ex Suggest Her Marriage to Estranged Husband Was Fake