WGA Awards 2013 Nominees: 'Moonrise Kingdom', 'Argo', 'West of Memphis' and More
Shortly after Producers Guild of America Awards announced its nominees, the 2013 Writers Guild of America Awards follows the footsteps by unveiling those in contention for its awards. The nomination list is divided into three categories, Original, Adapted and Documentary, which include films with the most outstanding achievement in writing for the screen during 2012.
In Original Screenplay category, John Gatnis-written pilot drama "Flight" and Rian Johnson's mind-bending sci-fi "Looper" surprisingly make it to the list despite the fact that they're mostly overlooked by other awards events. They will compete with expected contenders as "The Master", "Moonrise Kingdom" and "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)".
Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" also makes a surprise in the Adapted Screenplay category. The coming-of-age drama is set to fight against such heavy hitters as Chris Terrio's "Argo", David Magee's "Life of Pi", Tony Kushner's "Lincoln" and David O. Russell's "Silver Linings Playbook".
The feature films that are eligible for WGA Awards must be screened theatrically for at least a week in Los Angeles during 2012. They must also be written under the WGA's Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA). Theatrical screenplays produced under the jurisdiction of the WGA or an affiliate Guild must have been submitted for WGA awards consideration.
As for the documentaries, they must feature on-screen writing credit and were exhibited theatrically in L.A. or New York for at least one week during 2012. Those racing in the Documentary Screenplay category are "The Central Park Five", "The Invisible War", "Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God", "Searching for Sugar Man", "We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists" and "West of Memphis".
The Writers Guild Awards honor outstanding writing in film, television, new media, videogames, news, radio and promotional writing, and graphic animation. Winners of WGA Awards 2013 will be presented jointly during simultaneous ceremonies on Sunday, February 17 in New York at the B.B. King Blues Club and in Los Angeles at the JW Marriott L.A. LIVE.
- "Flight" - Written by John Gatins
- "Looper" - Written by Rian Johnson
- "The Master" - Written by Paul Thomas Anderson
- "Moonrise Kingdom" - Written by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola
- "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" - Written by Mark Boal
- "Argo" - Screenplay by Chris Terrio; Based on a selection from The Master of Disguise by Antonio J. Mendez and the Wired Magazine article "The Great Escape" by Joshuah Bearman
- "Life of Pi" - Screenplay by David Magee; Based on the novel by Yann Martel
- "Lincoln" - Screenplay by Tony Kushner; Based in part on the book "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln" by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" - Screenplay by Stephen Chbosky; Based on his book
- "Silver Linings Playbook" - Screenplay by David O. Russell; Based on the novel by Matthew Quick
- "The Central Park Five" - Written by Sarah Burns and David McMahon and Ken Burns
- "The Invisible War" - Written by Kirby Dick
- "Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God" - Written by Alex Gibney
- "Searching for Sugar Man" - Written by Malik Bendejelloul
- "We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists" - Written by Brian Knappenberger
- "West of Memphis" - Written by Amy Berg & Billy McMillin
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'