J.J. Abrams Screens Entire 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Film to Dying Fan
J.J. Abrams showed that he's a generous person. Despite being notoriously known as a super-secretive filmmaker, Abrams decided to especially screen "Star Trek Into Darkness" for a dying Trekkie named Daniel. The die-hard fan was diagnosed with two forms of cancer and his doctors said he only had a few weeks left to live.
It began last week when a user called Ideeeyut on Reddit shared a story about Dan, who went to see "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" with his wife, hoping to catch the 9-minute prolog of the "Star Trek" sequel. Unfortunately, it was not screened at the cinema they went to. The story then ran rampant and finally stole Abrams' attention.
What happened next was quite surprising as Abrams phoned Dan, saying that he would gave the dying fan a preview of a lifetime. Though Dan and his wife were only hoping to see the prolog, Abrams set up a full showing of the highly-anticipated movie instead.
A few days later, Dan's wife took to Reddit and shared, "Hi everyone, it's Daniel's wife, we are of course sworn to secrecy, BUT we are officially allowed to say we saw it and we enjoyed it IMMENSELY as a film and as a gesture...We were so touched when [Abrams] was concerned that we wouldn't 100% enjoy the screening as it's still being worked on....... Be assured we enjoyed it 110%!"
She went on thanking everyone involved, especially Abrams. "This is a story of us giving something to him, the 'internet' community giving something to him and ultimately being a heartwarming gift to our friends, family and so many others. This story of us (and of course JJAbrams & Bad Robot) being able to give this surprise gift of a screening to a huge movie buff like Daniel, especially a film made by a film maker who obviously makes movies with such care, with a fan like Daniel in mind," she said.
"Star Trek Into Darkness" will open in theaters Stateside on May 17.
- Is Hailey Baldwin Dating Kendall Jenner's Ex Jordan Clarkson?
- Kim Kardashian Says Goodbye to Barack Obama's Presidency With Throwback Pics
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo