Peggy Carter Won't Return to 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier'
Steve Rogers' first love interest Peggy Carter will not appear in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", so it's confirmed. Hayley Atwell, who played the character in "Captain America: The First Avenger", has stated that she would not reprise her role in the upcoming movie which is going to be set in present day.
Atwell broke the news during an interview with U.K.'s Time Out. The site posted, "She won't, she confirms, be back for the latter's sequel, which moves the action into the present day." This confirmation instantly debunked previous speculations that Peggy Carter would still be involved in the sequel.
Back in November 2011, Atwell actually hinted that there were talks to bring Peggy back to the follow-up film. "I haven't heard anything. There have been talks... there's a possibility," so the English actress told the Press Association. "I know they're either writing it now or they have written it by now, so I've moved on in another direction."
"But of course if they were to bring me back or ask if I was interested I'd definitely love to go back and revisit that role and develop her," the actress continued. "That would be wonderful."
With Peggy not returning to "Captain America 2", speculations that the Cap will have a new love interest grew stronger. It was rumored that the new leading lady could be Sharon Carter, or also known as Peggy's niece a.k.a Agent 13.
Some actresses have reportedly been eyed for the role. They included Jessica Brown Findlay, Emilia Clarke, Alison Brie, Teresa Palmer, Imogen Poots and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. No official word has been made to confirm the casting news.
"Captain America 2" will bring back Chris Evans as the titular superhero. Samuel L. Jackson, Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie are the other confirmed actors for the film, which is slated for a April 4, 2014 release in the United States. The sequel will begin filming in spring in Cleveland.
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen