Pink Facing $36,000 Lawsuit Over Album Royalties
Grammy Award-winning pop artist Pink is facing a $36,000 lawsuit filed in New York last December by Specialists Entertainment and Thunderstone Productions, her former producers who worked on her debut album released in 2000. The two entities are claiming $36,213.31 in unpaid royalties for the carrier single "Can't Take Me Home" and "Hiccup" which they both produced back in 1999.
A representative for the 33-year-old pop-rocker claimed that the lawsuit has no merits since it is not the singer but the record label, Sony, who is legally responsible to pay royalties to the producers. The album was initially distributed by La Face and Arista records but the rights has since been bought by Sony.
Sony, in a letter issued by its Director for Business Affairs, Damon Ellis, to Thunderstone Productions head Stephen Clarke back in September 2012, claimed that Sony had already paid the two producers their royalties. However, the company had mistakenly sent the check intended for Specialists Entertainment to Thunderstone Productions and that further payments to Thunderstone Productions would be withheld until the overpayment was recovered by Sony and turned over to Specialists Entertainment's head honcho Harold Frasier.
"Can't Take Me Home" is considered as Pink's only R'n'B album and a certified commercial success with more than 5 million copies sold. Since then, Pink has gone on to release five other albums. She is nominated in this year's Grammy Awards, scheduled to be telecast on February 10, and is set to go on her U.S. concert tour "The Truth About Love", which kicks off in Phoenix, Arizona just three days after.
More Pink News
- Kobe Bryant and Wife Vanessa Welcome Baby No. 3
- John Cena Enters Battlefield in Intense Trailer for Doug Liman's 'The Wall'
- Gigi Hadid Blames Meds for Skinnier Figure, Announces Social Media Break Over the Holidays
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Major Sideboob and Butt While Celebrating Birthday With Meek Mill
- 'La La Land' and 'Arrival' Among AFI's Top Ten Movies of 2016
- Donald Trump Is Still Involved in 'The Apprentice' After All
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson