Jay-Z and Coldplay Welcome 2013 in Brooklyn Show
As Coldplay's frontman Chris Martin sang "Auld Lang Syne", Jay-Z went up the stage at close to midnight to ring in the New Year during their double-billed show in Brooklyn, New York. After exchanging hugs with Martin, Jay took over the stage from Coldplay, who had a riot of a performance with lots of color and movement, in contrast to the rapper who was alone on stage and was mostly standing throughout his performance as he spit his rhymes.
Coldplay kicked off the concert at 10 P.M. and played a 15-song set, to the delight of a packed Barclays Center. The venue lit up as fans were each given bracelets that had multi-colored lights that blinked in step. The crowd sang along with the band as they dished out their hits "The Scientist" and "Paradise", as confetti canons and world map beach balls were rolled out. Rihanna appeared in the screens put up around the arena as the band performed "Princess of China".
Martin told the audience to "please have a good time," and "cherish the people you love" before Jay, in a casual white t-shirt, joined the group for a duet of "Lost". Martin was a bolt of energy as Coldplay dished out one track after another, with their line-up including their hits "Viva La Vida", "Yellow", "Us Against the World" and "Clocks".
When it was Jay's turn to take over the other half of the show, he delivered his 25-song set which started with "Run This Town". The new father ended the night around 1:30 A.M. with some inspiring words, "2012 was a major year for me, it was the birth of my beautiful daughter Blue, it was the birth of this building. Tonight I feel like I'm in the right place. I wish you the best 2013 possible. Peace and love."
In between the two headliners' sets, DJ Cassidy spun Michael Jackson's and Journey's tracks while the crew changed the stage backdrops.
More Jay-Z News
- Silver Sable and Black Cat Movie Rumored to Have Spider-Woman
- Scott Disick Spotted Flirting With Sofia Richie on Yacht in Cannes
- Jaden Smith Accuses Canadian Hotel of Spiking His Food
- Alex Rodriguez Signs Deal With ABC News as Contributor
- Joaquin Phoenix and Diane Kruger Win Best Actor and Actress at Cannes 2017
- Miranda Kerr Marries Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel in Backyard Ceremony
- 'Logan' Producer Hints at X-23 Solo Movie
- Jamie Foxx Called 'Disrespectful' by Nyle DiMarco for Making Up Sign Language on 'Fallon'