Jay-Z and Coldplay Welcome 2013 in Brooklyn Show
As Coldplay's frontman Chris Martin sang "Auld Lang Syne", Jay-Z went up the stage at close to midnight to ring in the New Year during their double-billed show in Brooklyn, New York. After exchanging hugs with Martin, Jay took over the stage from Coldplay, who had a riot of a performance with lots of color and movement, in contrast to the rapper who was alone on stage and was mostly standing throughout his performance as he spit his rhymes.
Coldplay kicked off the concert at 10 P.M. and played a 15-song set, to the delight of a packed Barclays Center. The venue lit up as fans were each given bracelets that had multi-colored lights that blinked in step. The crowd sang along with the band as they dished out their hits "The Scientist" and "Paradise", as confetti canons and world map beach balls were rolled out. Rihanna appeared in the screens put up around the arena as the band performed "Princess of China".
Martin told the audience to "please have a good time," and "cherish the people you love" before Jay, in a casual white t-shirt, joined the group for a duet of "Lost". Martin was a bolt of energy as Coldplay dished out one track after another, with their line-up including their hits "Viva La Vida", "Yellow", "Us Against the World" and "Clocks".
When it was Jay's turn to take over the other half of the show, he delivered his 25-song set which started with "Run This Town". The new father ended the night around 1:30 A.M. with some inspiring words, "2012 was a major year for me, it was the birth of my beautiful daughter Blue, it was the birth of this building. Tonight I feel like I'm in the right place. I wish you the best 2013 possible. Peace and love."
In between the two headliners' sets, DJ Cassidy spun Michael Jackson's and Journey's tracks while the crew changed the stage backdrops.
More Jay-Z News
- Chris Brown Is Arrested for Assault With a Deadly Weapon
- New Boyfriend? Lindsay Lohan Spotted Together With Dennis Papageorgiou in Greece
- Calvin Harris Strips Down to His Undies in New Instagram Photo
- Gisele Bundchen, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid Among Highest-Paid Models 2016
- Selena Gomez Takes a Break, Cancels Tour Amid Battle With Depression due to Lupus
- 'Arrow' Season 5 Shows First Look at Villainous Prometheus
- Blake Lively Celebrates Baby Shower With Taylor Swift
- Gabby Douglas Apologizes After Missing VMAs due to Health Issues