PSY to End 'Gangnam Style' Reign After New Year's Eve
PSY is not going to popularize "Gangnam Style" anymore after 2012 comes to an end. The South Korean singer said that he is ready to move on from his mega-hit single following his performance of it at "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve" on Monday, December 31 night.
"Being in Times Square on New Year's Eve is already special - it's the biggest stage in the universe - plus it's my birthday, so, with all that, it may be the ending of 'Gangnam Style'," PSY told MTV News. "I mean, what better way to do it? It's my biggest and most meaningful birthday." PSY is turning 35 on Monday.
"Gangnam Style" itself has experienced a decline in charts, going from number 2 to 19 on Billboard Hot 100 chart. It spent seven weeks at number 2 while the music video hit the 1 billion mark on YouTube earlier this month.
His strategy is to introduce a new song which hopefully will be as popular. "I'm really working hard on a new single right now, and I'm not saying ['Gangnam'] is ending on 'Dick Clark' - I still have a lot of invitations to perform it ... I'll be in Paris, and in February I got invited to perform in China, and I've still got to do promo," he said. "So let me say that in America I need a new single because 'Gangnam Style' got too popular, so I've got to write a new single."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce