Adam Lambert Criticizes 'Les Miserables' Score, Slams the Cast's Singing Skill
The singing skills showcased by "Les Miserables" stars are not good enough for Adam Lambert. The "American Idol" graduate rips the cast members like Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried in a series of tweets when giving his review for the movie.
"Les Mis: Visually impressive w great Emotional performances. But the score suffered massively with great actors PRETENDING to be singers. ... it's an opera. Hollywoods movie musicals treat the singing as the last priority," he tweeted, before adding, "Dreamgirls was good."
The singer made the exceptions for Anne Hathaway (Fantine), Aaron Tveit (Enjolras), Helena Bonham Carter (Madame Thenardier), Sacha Baron Cohen (Thenardier), and Samantha Barks (Eponine). He said Carter and Cohen were "great," and called Barks "cool."
"I do think it was cool they were singing live- but with that cast, they should have studio recorded and sweetened the vocals," he opined. "I felt like I should ignore the vocals and focus on the emotional subtext- but the singing was so distracting at times it pulled me out."
"The industry will say 'these actors were so brave to attempt singing this score live' but why not cast actors who could actually sound good?" he continued, before concluding, "Sorry for being so harsh but it's so True!"
Earlier this year, director Tom Hooper explained why he's against the studio recording for the songs in the movie. "Singing live has such a profound effect on the power and realism of this story," he reasoned. Crowe added, "There's an emotion level to singing live that just can't be recreated in the studio."
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?