Adam Lambert Criticizes 'Les Miserables' Score, Slams the Cast's Singing Skill
The singing skills showcased by "Les Miserables" stars are not good enough for Adam Lambert. The "American Idol" graduate rips the cast members like Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried in a series of tweets when giving his review for the movie.
"Les Mis: Visually impressive w great Emotional performances. But the score suffered massively with great actors PRETENDING to be singers. ... it's an opera. Hollywoods movie musicals treat the singing as the last priority," he tweeted, before adding, "Dreamgirls was good."
The singer made the exceptions for Anne Hathaway (Fantine), Aaron Tveit (Enjolras), Helena Bonham Carter (Madame Thenardier), Sacha Baron Cohen (Thenardier), and Samantha Barks (Eponine). He said Carter and Cohen were "great," and called Barks "cool."
"I do think it was cool they were singing live- but with that cast, they should have studio recorded and sweetened the vocals," he opined. "I felt like I should ignore the vocals and focus on the emotional subtext- but the singing was so distracting at times it pulled me out."
"The industry will say 'these actors were so brave to attempt singing this score live' but why not cast actors who could actually sound good?" he continued, before concluding, "Sorry for being so harsh but it's so True!"
Earlier this year, director Tom Hooper explained why he's against the studio recording for the songs in the movie. "Singing live has such a profound effect on the power and realism of this story," he reasoned. Crowe added, "There's an emotion level to singing live that just can't be recreated in the studio."
More Adam Lambert News
- Cress Williams to Lead The CW's DC Superhero Series 'Black Lightning'
- Joe Carnahan Rumored to Direct 'X-Force', Ryan Reynolds to Co-Write the Movie
- Did Nicki Minaj Just Diss Lil' Kim in Gucci Mane Collaboration 'Make Love'?
- Fifth Harmony, Nick Viall and Nancy Kerrigan to Join 'DWTS' Season 24
- Justin Bieber Denies Peeing His Pants: 'Water Spilled on My D**k Area'
- Meryl Streep Reacts After Karl Lagerfeld Calls Her 'Cheap' for Snubbing Chanel Dress at Oscars
- Watch Ed Sheeran Adorably Crash Katy Perry's Interview
- Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' Finally Has Premiere Date