'The Hobbit' Undefeated by 'Django Unchained' and 'Les Miserables' on Box Office
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is still unbeatable in its third week on North American box office despite the arrivals of two critically-acllaimed movies, "Django Unchained" and "Les Miserables". The Peter Jackson-directed movie reigns the chart on the last weekend of 2012, adding an estimated $32.9 million or dipping only about 11% from last week.
Calling the "Hobbit" performance "just amazing," box office analyst of Hollywood.com, Paul Dergarabedian, shares his thought on what led to the adventure movie's feat. He says, "I think people are catching up with the movie. Maybe they're seeing it in multiple formats. I think it's just a big epic that feels like a great way to end the moviegoing year. There's momentum there with this movie."
Placing second is "Django" from director Quentin Tarantino. The R-rated spaghetti Western movie rakes in an estimated $30.7 million, after ranking second on Christmas Day with $15 million in a night.
"We're thrilled with it, clearly," Erik Lomis, The Weinstein Co.'s president of theatrical distribution, comments. "We knew it was extremely competitive at Christmas, particularly when you look at the start 'Les Mis' got. We were sort of resigned to being behind them. The fact that we were able to overtake them over the weekend was just great. Taking nothing away from their number, it's a tribute to the playability of 'Django'."
"Les Miserables" lands on the third place with approximately $28 million, making its total domestic cume to $61 million after six days playing in theaters. The star-studded musical drama previously won the Christmas Day box office by pulling in $18.1 million on its opening night.
Another new release "Parental Guide" trails behind on the fourth place with an estimated $14.8 million. Tom Cruise's "Jack Reacher", meanwhile, slips from No. 2 to No. 5 with approximately $14 million.
"Skyfall", which now sits on the eleventh place, reaches another milestone. The 23rd James Bond movie surpasses $1 billion mark worldwide in its seventh week, becoming the fourteenth film to ever reach the mark.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for December 28 - 30:
- "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - $32.9 million
- "Django Unchained" - $30.7 million
- "Les Miserables" - $28 million
- "Parental Guidance" - $14.8 million
- "Jack Reacher" - $14 million
- "This Is 40" - $13.2 million
- "Lincoln" - $7.5 million
- "The Guilt Trip" - $6.7 million
- "Monsters, Inc." (3D) - $6.4 million
- "Rise of the Guardians" - $4.9 million
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby