Whitney Houston Leads Video Montage of Artists Who Died in 2012
Grammy-winning diva Whitney Houston led a special video montage of the top musicians who passed away this year. Posted by the New York Times, the four-minute video, "The Music They Made", featured the music of artists who died in 2012 in a moving testament to the enormous talent that the music industry lost this year.
Besides the legendary Houston, other musicians featured in the compilation were Adam Yauch of Beastie Boys, jazz great Dave Brubeck, bluegrass pioneer Earl Scruggs, Bill Doss of The Olivia Tremor Control, and Davy Jones of The Monkees. Top session musician Bob Babbitt, disco queen Donna Summer and the recently-deceased Ravi Shankar rounded up the artists included in the video.
The great composer and conductor Marvin Hamlisch was missing in the montage. Other music greats that were overlooked were prolific movie songwriter Robert B. Sherman, former Fleetwood Mac member Bob Welch and saxophonist Tommy Marth.
Houston, considered as the most awarded female act of all-time by Guinness, was found unconscious and submerged in a bathtub in her Beverly Hilton Hotel suite and was later pronounced dead, February of this year.
The five-time Grammy winner, Donna Summer, died in May from her battle with lung cancer, and has since been described as the "undisputed queen of the Seventies disco boom" and "one of the world's leading singers." Indian musician Ravi Shankar, described as the best-known contemporary Indian musician, died this December from complications after undergoing heart valve replacement surgery.
More Whitney Houston News
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy