Whitney Houston Leads Video Montage of Artists Who Died in 2012
Grammy-winning diva Whitney Houston led a special video montage of the top musicians who passed away this year. Posted by the New York Times, the four-minute video, "The Music They Made", featured the music of artists who died in 2012 in a moving testament to the enormous talent that the music industry lost this year.
Besides the legendary Houston, other musicians featured in the compilation were Adam Yauch of Beastie Boys, jazz great Dave Brubeck, bluegrass pioneer Earl Scruggs, Bill Doss of The Olivia Tremor Control, and Davy Jones of The Monkees. Top session musician Bob Babbitt, disco queen Donna Summer and the recently-deceased Ravi Shankar rounded up the artists included in the video.
The great composer and conductor Marvin Hamlisch was missing in the montage. Other music greats that were overlooked were prolific movie songwriter Robert B. Sherman, former Fleetwood Mac member Bob Welch and saxophonist Tommy Marth.
Houston, considered as the most awarded female act of all-time by Guinness, was found unconscious and submerged in a bathtub in her Beverly Hilton Hotel suite and was later pronounced dead, February of this year.
The five-time Grammy winner, Donna Summer, died in May from her battle with lung cancer, and has since been described as the "undisputed queen of the Seventies disco boom" and "one of the world's leading singers." Indian musician Ravi Shankar, described as the best-known contemporary Indian musician, died this December from complications after undergoing heart valve replacement surgery.
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott 'Definitely Looked Like a Couple' at NBA Game
- Aaron Hernandez Asked to Share Prison Cell With Alleged Gay Lover
- 'Jurassic Park' Alum Jeff Goldblum Joins 'Jurassic World 2'
- 'The Voice' Live Top 12 Eliminations: Who Is the First to Get Sent Home?
- Justin Bieber Is Featured on DJ Khaled's Star-Studded Single 'I'm the One'
- Nicki Minaj's Getting Trolled for Blonde Bob Wig: 'I'm Tired of Being Bullied'
- Selena Gomez's '13 Reasons Why' Sparks Concerns Among School Officials and Health Experts
- Report: Taylor Swift and Harry Styles Getting Back Together