'Game of Thrones' and 'Dexter' Top List of Most Pirated TV Shows in 2012
"Game of Thrones" and "Dexter" once again prove that they are highly anticipated by fans, though not in the way that shows' bosses expect. The two series are the most pirated TV show of 2012, according to TorrentFreak.
As many as 4.28 million people watched an episode of HBO's "Game of Thrones". It surpassed an estimated 4.2 million viewers which watched the episode on the premium cable channel the night it aired.
As for "Dexter", its top episode was downloaded 3.85 times in just a week. It's one million more than the number of legal U.S. audience which watched the episode on Showtime (estimated 2.75 million viewers).
"The Big Bang Theory", "How I Met Your Mother" and "Breaking Bad" round out the top five of most downloaded TV shows this year. "The Walking Dead", "Homeland" and newcomer "Revolution" also make it into the list.
The site reports that more than 80% of TV piracy occurs outside the U.S. It's mostly because of lack of availability to watch the shows online in a timely manner.
Making up 10% of the total illegal downloads, Australia becomes the No. 1 country where TV piracy occurs. The U.S. ranks second with 9.7% of the total illegal downloads, despite the fact that Americans are the first to see these favorite shows.
- "Game of Thrones" - 4.28 million downloads
- "Dexter" - 3.85 million downloads
- "The Big Bang Theory" - 3.2 million downloads
- "How I Met Your Mother" - 2.96 million downloads
- "Breaking Bad" - 2.58 million downloads
- "The Walking Dead" - 2.55 million downloads
- "Homeland" - 2.4 million downloads
- "House M.D." - 2.34 million downloads
- "Fringe" - 2.28 million downloads
- "Revolution" - 2.13 million downloads
More Game of Thrones News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics