Bethenny Frankel Dished on Marriage Issues in Interview Before Split
Before announcing her split from husband of nearly three years Jason Hoppy, Bethenny Frankel had already poured her heart out about what issues they were trying to resolve to make it work. "Our core issues are wanting the other person to be somebody they are not," she revealed to PEOPLE in a May interview.
"Nothing comes easily for me," she said. "Being successful in business doesn't come easy for me. Marriage doesn't come easily for me. You have to fight for everything." Regarding her husband, she uttered, "Jason is more balanced. He doesn't want to work 24 hours a day. He wants to play golf and go out with his friends."
"He feels there are so many people who have a piece of me," she added. "The core issues are he wants me to open up to let me in, and my basic thing is, I don't want to be in a situation where I can't say what I feel. I have to be in a relationship where I can say what I feel even if it's wrong - so we can work through it."
"I just wanted to be able to say something, without him saying I am a bad person for having those feelings. What can I be, besides honest?" Bethenny added. The former star of "The Real Housewives of New York City" star additionally said, "I've often thought that if I didn't make it work, I would end up alone and that I would never want to be married again."
Their relationship was documented in reality TV series "Betthenny Getting Married?" and "Bethenny Ever After ...", but she insisted they had nothing to do with their separation. "Our issues are our issues, and I can't say reality TV exacerbates that," she reasoned. "We had our issues when we were dating. We always had the struggle to accept one another."
Bethenny and Jason got married in March 2010 when she was seven months pregnant with their first child. "We have love and respect for one another and will continue to amicably co-parent our daughter [Bryn] who is and will always remain our first priority," she said when announcing their breakup. "I am heartbroken. I am sad. We will work through this as a family."
More Bethenny Frankel News
- Kim Kardashian Ditches Panties in Jaw-Dropping Look at Paris Fashion Week
- Britney Spears Feels Great in Her 30s Because Her 20s Was 'Horrible'
- Listen to Niall Horan's First Solo Single 'This Town' Here!
- Kim Kardashian Is Sick of Taylor Swift Question: 'I'm So Over It'
- Luke Cage's Leading Lady Misty Knight Confirmed to Return on 'The Defenders'
- Don't Call Zayn Malik 'Celebrity' Because He Loathes It!
- Vitalii Sediuk Calls His Attempt to Kiss Kim Kardashian's Butt a Protest Against 'Butt Implants'
- Gavin Rossdale Follows Gwen Stefani's Lead, Joins 'The Voice UK' as New Judge