'Amazing Spider-Man' 700th Issue Introduces Darker Incarnation of the Webslinger
Another character will slip into the red-and-blue costume in the 700th and final issue of Marvel Comics' "The Amazing Spider-Man". The said edition, which will be published December 26, will see Peter Parker die once again and Doctor Octavius a.k.a. Dr. Octopus assume his alter ego.
After swapping bodies in their final showdown, Spidey's nemesis is finally able to defeat his former pupil. Peter's trapped in Dr. Octopus' body to death, while Doc Ock will use his newfound youth and power for good deeds.
Justifying the decision to kill off Peter, writer Dan Slott tells Hero Complex, "He's not Superman. Spider-Man doesn't always win. He's us. We do our best, but sometimes we fall short. What makes him heroic is that he stays on the right path."
He further points out, "There's a victory in this story for Peter if you're willing to see it. ...when you're in a losing battle, when the world's against you, when everyone thinks you're a menace, but you do the right thing anyway...that's when you're better than a superhero. That's when you're Peter Parker."
On what makes Dr. Octopus step onto the right path, Slott explains to CNN, "Peter's final, heroic act was giving Doc all the memories and experiences that kept him on the right path." He further says, "Gone are his days of villainy, but since it's Doc Ock and he has that ego, he's not going to try and just be Spider-Man, he's going to try to be the best Spider-Man ever."
"For all intents and purposes, he was the adult Peter could have become, Spider-Man's dark reflection," Slott adds, before defending the big villain in "Spider-Man" comics, "So what if we flipped it? What if we gave him a second chance?"
Dr. Octopus as the new Spider-Man will take a center stage in new "Superior Spider-Man" series , which is set to debut in January.
It's not the first time Marvel features a new man behind the Spider-Man costume. Back in August 2011, African American teenager Miles Morales replaced Peter Parker in the 4th issue of "Ultimate Fallout" following the death of the original Spidey.
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris