Marina and the Diamonds Covers 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas'
Welsh singer-songwriter Marina Diamandis, more popularly known by her stage name Marina and the Diamonds, has released an acoustic cover of the popular holiday tune "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Her video is the last of 12 installments in MTV/VH1/CMT Artist Platform's "12 Holidaze" series.
Asked about the acoustic cover, Diamandis disclosed that it was actually a toss-up between "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "Amazing Grace", but the final choice depended on her vocal style. "It's down to what will suit your voice or the arrangement," the indie-pop/new wave singer said, before revealing that she has not had any formal training in music. "All the signs in my life were not pointing to me becoming a pop artist, so for me, I'm still learning what my song identity and voice is."
Early this spring, Diamandis had a vocal injury in the middle of a hectic tour schedule, which included a six-week front act gig for Coldplay. She has since discovered a new way of singing which she applies on the acoustic cover. She says about her latest work, "It captures that sentiment of real Christmas time and what it means to have your family and friends around you, as opposed to it being cheesy or trashy. It's one of the most traditional songs."
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" was originally sung by vaudeville actress Judy Garland, as featured in "Meet Me in St. Louis", a 1944 musical film by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Since then, it has been covered by crooner Frank Sinatra, jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald and singer-guitarist James Taylor among other artists.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics