Ben Affleck: I Am Not Running for Office
People can remove Ben Affleck from the list of Sen. John Kerry's potential successor. Following reports that he appears on the whish list to become a U.S. Senator if Kerry is appointed as the Secretary of State, the actor/director rules out the possiblity of him running for political office right now.
"I love Massachusetts and our political process, but I am not running for office," he says in a statement posted on his Facebook page on Monday, December 24. "Right now it's a privilege to spend my time working with Eastern Congo Initiative (ECI), supporting our veterans, drawing attention to the great many who go hungry in the U.S. everyday and using filmmaking to entertain and foster discussion about issues like our relationship to Iran."
"We are about to get a great Secretary of State and there are some phenomenal candidates in Massachusetts for his Senate seat. I look forward to an amazing campaign," the husband of Jennifer Garner adds, before wishing "Happy Holidays to All."
Previously, some people believed that Ben would run for Senate to replace Sen. John Kerry, who's expected to be the next Secretary of State replacing Hillary Clinton in a second-term Barack Obama administration. "Anyone that underestimates Ben's political ambition is a fool. He's very focused and smart," a source said.
The 40-year-old father of three himself played coy when asked about the matter during a December 19 taping of CBS' "Face the Nation". He said at the time, "One never knows. I'm not one to get into conjecture... It's a big deal for me to come down here and be on your show that I've watched so much, but I'm not going to get into speculation about my political future."
More Ben Affleck News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences