First Photo of Sharlto Copley as the 'Elysium' Villain
After debuting the first look at Matt Damon's Max, "Elysium" unleashes the first image of Sharlto Copley as the movie's villain Kruger. The antagonist has what seems to be a heavy gear and sports something mechanical on his face.
To Empire which gets its hand on the photo, Copley clears up speculation that he uses Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker in "The Dark Knight" as a reference for his character. "The Joker was a mistaken reference. I was really just saying that that was the last time I saw a villain that inspired me: somebody that set the bar," he says.
The actor goes on claiming, "There's no connection or likeness to The Joker in terms of the character. What I did with him - which I try to do with all my original characters - was draw from real life." He further explains, "I combined references from a very infamous South African military battalion called 32 Battalion, that fought in the Border Wars in South Africa, and a stereotype of character that you get in the south of Johannesburg, where the guys are a little bit more comfortable with violence!"
Directed by "District 9" helmer Neill Blomkamp, "Elysium" is set in the year 2159 where two classes, the oppressed people of the ruined planet Earth and the privileged elite aboard the Elysium space station, exist. Secretary Rhodes (Jodie Foster), a hard the government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. Kruger is her relentless attack dog.
That doesn't stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. Matt Damon is ex-convict man-on-a-mission Max, fighting with the Terrans for equality. If successful, the mission will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.
The sci-fi, action film is set for an August 9, 2013 release in the United States.
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed