First Photo of Sharlto Copley as the 'Elysium' Villain
After debuting the first look at Matt Damon's Max, "Elysium" unleashes the first image of Sharlto Copley as the movie's villain Kruger. The antagonist has what seems to be a heavy gear and sports something mechanical on his face.
To Empire which gets its hand on the photo, Copley clears up speculation that he uses Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker in "The Dark Knight" as a reference for his character. "The Joker was a mistaken reference. I was really just saying that that was the last time I saw a villain that inspired me: somebody that set the bar," he says.
The actor goes on claiming, "There's no connection or likeness to The Joker in terms of the character. What I did with him - which I try to do with all my original characters - was draw from real life." He further explains, "I combined references from a very infamous South African military battalion called 32 Battalion, that fought in the Border Wars in South Africa, and a stereotype of character that you get in the south of Johannesburg, where the guys are a little bit more comfortable with violence!"
Directed by "District 9" helmer Neill Blomkamp, "Elysium" is set in the year 2159 where two classes, the oppressed people of the ruined planet Earth and the privileged elite aboard the Elysium space station, exist. Secretary Rhodes (Jodie Foster), a hard the government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. Kruger is her relentless attack dog.
That doesn't stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. Matt Damon is ex-convict man-on-a-mission Max, fighting with the Terrans for equality. If successful, the mission will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.
The sci-fi, action film is set for an August 9, 2013 release in the United States.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake