Ricky Gervais Presents First Trailer of Comedy Series 'Derek' to U.S. Viewers
Ricky Gervais' new series "Derek" is set to entertain U.S. fans next year when it gets picked up by Netflix. Written and directed by Gervais himself, the mockumentary records the daily life of Derek Noakes, a guy working at a retirement home and is not exactly the most brilliant staff around the place. The first trailer of the series aired back in April in the U.K. and is now bound for U.S. airing.
Just like any series hoping to get some good footing, the three-minute long trailer focuses on introducing the different characters of the series. Viewers get a chance to see the less-than-sharp nursing home attendant Derek and how he interacts with the elderly patients in the home. The clip then introduces Derek's balding best mate Dougie, played by Karl Pilkington, who is apparently paranoid about appearing on a TV show.
Other characters to watch are their out-of-work friend Kev, played by David Earl, and Derek's kindhearted co-worker Hannah, played by Kerry Godliman. Meanwhile, the camera work and shooting style of the series is something very familiar to a lot of Gervais fans who have followed his hit series "The Office" and "Extras". The difference seems to lie on Derek's very melancholic and dark mood, sometimes appearing almost too dramatic and heart wrenching for people who would want to see comedy and have a few laughs.
The new comedy series already got an order from England's Channel 4 for a full series back in May this year. It is set to air early 2013 on Netflix.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival