Spike Lee Blasts 'Django Unchained', Claims the Film 'Disrespect My Ancestors'
Apparently not everybody are eager to see Quentin Tarantino's much-praised slavery era film "Django Unchained". While many critics gave good words on the movie, director Spike Lee publicly slammed it by claiming the film was "disrespectful" to his ancestors and stating that he would not watch it.
In a recent interview with Vibe, the "Red Hook Summer" helmer blasted the film as stating, "I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it." He went, "All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors, to see that film. That's the only thing I'm gonna say. I can't disrespect my ancestors. I can't do it. Now, that's me, I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody but myself."
That was not the first time Lee gave his negative opinion on the spaghetti Western film. As noted by The Playlist, he also took to his Twitter recently and wrote, "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them."
He once also told Variety, "I'm not against the word. And some people speak that way. But Quentin is infatuated with that word. What does he want to be made--an honorary black man?...I want Quentin to know that all African Americans do not think that word is trendy or slick."
"Django", which will open Stateside on Christmas Day, is set in the South two years before the Civil War. It follows Django, a freed slave who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter King Schultz , becomes a bad-ass bounty hunter himself. After assisting Schultz in taking down some bad guys for profit, Django tracks down his slave wife and liberates her from an evil plantation owner Calvin Candie.
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly
- Beyonce Writes a Song About Her Newborn Twins, Plans to Release New Album Before Coachella 2018
- Gillian Anderson Goes Makeup-Free and Ditches Bra During Her Stay in Italy
- Kate Beckinsale Can't Keep Her Hands Off Toy Boy Matt Rife During Movie Date
- Kevin Feige Confirms Miles Morales Is Part of MCU
- Protective Boyfriend The Weeknd Tells Selena Gomez to Cover Up