Benedict Cumberbatch: My 'Star Trek' Villain Is a Mix of Hannibal Lecter and the Joker
More hints about Benedict Cumberbatch's mysterious villain in "Star Trek Into Darkness" have been revealed. In an interview with Gya O! Cumberbatch himself gives more tidbits on the much-speculated-about supervillain, who is now known by the name of John Harrison.
Cumberbatch dishes that Harrison, whom some people believe is an alias of another master villain in the film, is a mixture of some iconic movie bad guys. "When J.J. described the role to me... he described someone who was, in movie terms, a mixture of Hannibal Lecter, Jack in 'The Shining' and the Joker in 'Batman'," says the British thesp.
He goes, "He's someone who has enormous physical strength. He's someone who is incredibly dangerous, both as a physical entity and through the use of various technologies and weapons and who performs acts of what I would describe as terrorism. He's also a psychological master. He manipulates the minds of those around him to do his bidding in a very, very subtle way."
Director J.J. Abrams explains further about Harrison's background story, "His name is John Harrison and he is sort of an... average guy who works in an organization called Starfleet and he turns against the group because he has got this backstory and this kind of amazing secret agenda."
"After two very violent attacks, one in London and one in the U.S., our characters have to go after this guy and apprehend him," he adds. "And it is a far more complicated and difficult thing then they ever anticipated. 'Into Darkness' is very much about how intense it gets and really what they are up against."
The "Star Trek" sequel will arrive in cinemas Stateside on May 17, 2013. It revolves around the time when the crew of the Enterprise is called back home and they find that an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.
With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As the heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie