'The Hobbit' Holds Strong on Box Office, Knocks Down 'Jack Reacher'
Heading to Christmas Day, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" still holds strong on North American box office. In its two weeks of playing Stateside, the Middle-earth tale film adds around $36.7 million to its $149.8 million domestic cume. Internationally, the fantasy flick directed by Peter Jackson collects $91 million for a total worldwide gross of $433.9 million.
"The Hobbit" easily beats newcomer "Jack Reacher" which lands on the runner up spot with an estimated $15.6 million. Opened in 3,352 theaters, the Tom Cruise-starring actioner receives a glowing "A-" CinemaScore. Paramount Pictures' Megan Colligan says, "I think the movie found a sweet spot. It's had action-hero quality that older men love and has a great opportunity to bring in teenage boys as the audience expands."
Meanwhile, "This Is 40" claims the third spot with around $12 million on its debut weekend. In contrary to "Reacher", the raunchy comedy attracts mostly female audience. "I knew if we could get $10 million, and we did better than that, then the box office for the movie would just get better and better after Christmas Day, Universal Pictures' Nikiki Rocco comments on the result.
Landing on the fourth and fifth places respectively are "Rise of the Guardians" with around $5.9 million and "Lincoln" with approximately $5.6 million. Newcomer "The Guilt Trip", on the other hand, doesn't make it to the top five with its $5.3 millon gross on its first weekend. Trailing behind it is the 3D re-release of "Monsters, Inc." which opens to an estimated $5 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for December 21 - 23:
- "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - $36.7 million
- "Jack Reacher" - $15.6 million
- "This Is 40" - $12 million
- "Rise of the Guardians" - $5.9 million
- "Lincoln" - $5.6 million
- "The Guilt Trip" - $5.3 million
- "Monsters, Inc." (3D) - $5 million
- "Skyfall" - $4.7 million
- "Life of Pi" - $3.8 million
- "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II" - $2.6 million
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences