Rihanna Donates $1.75 M to Hospital in Honor of Late Grandma
In honor of her late grandmother Clara "Dolly" Braithwaite, Rihanna has donated $1.75 million to a Barbados hospital. The singer personally visited Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Bridgetown on Saturday, December 22 along with her mother Monica Fenty and Dolly's husband Lionel.
"This was my way of giving back to Barbados, in a form of philanthropy, by assisting the QEH in its continued modernization program," Rihanna said in a statement to E! Online. "I believe that this will have a huge impact on the people of Barbados. This was all done to save lives or at least extend them."
Her donation will alter the radiotherapy department at the hospital to Clara Braithwaite Centre for Oncology and Nuclear Medicine. The money will be used to pay for vital pieces of medical equipment.
Dolly died in the early hours of July 1 this year after losing battle to cancer. She had been hospitalized at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York. "Goodbye #grangranDOLLY get your beauty rest until I see you," Rihanna announced her grandmother's death on Twitter.
Her grandparents play a huge role in Rihanna's life as she often spoke about the values of her upbringing. Rihanna even inked Dolly's name across her chest after the grandmother passed away.
More Rihanna News
- Lady GaGa Hits Recording Studio With BloodPop, Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker
- Derek Hough Confirms He's Back on 'Dancing with the Stars', Cheryl Burke Also Returns
- Ruby Rose Splits From Girlfriend Harley Gusman
- Ariana Grande Kisses Mac Miller and Sits on His Lap at VMAs After-Party
- Justin Bieber Wins 8 Titles in Guinness World Records 2017 Edition
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Poses Completely Naked for Paper Magazine
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs