Rihanna Donates $1.75 M to Hospital in Honor of Late Grandma
In honor of her late grandmother Clara "Dolly" Braithwaite, Rihanna has donated $1.75 million to a Barbados hospital. The singer personally visited Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Bridgetown on Saturday, December 22 along with her mother Monica Fenty and Dolly's husband Lionel.
"This was my way of giving back to Barbados, in a form of philanthropy, by assisting the QEH in its continued modernization program," Rihanna said in a statement to E! Online. "I believe that this will have a huge impact on the people of Barbados. This was all done to save lives or at least extend them."
Her donation will alter the radiotherapy department at the hospital to Clara Braithwaite Centre for Oncology and Nuclear Medicine. The money will be used to pay for vital pieces of medical equipment.
Dolly died in the early hours of July 1 this year after losing battle to cancer. She had been hospitalized at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York. "Goodbye #grangranDOLLY get your beauty rest until I see you," Rihanna announced her grandmother's death on Twitter.
Her grandparents play a huge role in Rihanna's life as she often spoke about the values of her upbringing. Rihanna even inked Dolly's name across her chest after the grandmother passed away.
More Rihanna News
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom
- Celebrity Police Unit to Be Discontinued Following Big Bang's T.O.P's Marijuana Scandal
- Cara Delevingne Says She Wants to Be James Bond Amid Bond Girl Rumors
- Johnny Depp Demands Claim He Has 'Psychological Issues' Removed From Court Record
- Cheeky! Emily Ratajkowski Flashes Ample Cleavage in Polka Dot Outfit
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Anthony Scaramucci Hiring as New White House Press Secretary