Rihanna Donates $1.75 M to Hospital in Honor of Late Grandma
In honor of her late grandmother Clara "Dolly" Braithwaite, Rihanna has donated $1.75 million to a Barbados hospital. The singer personally visited Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Bridgetown on Saturday, December 22 along with her mother Monica Fenty and Dolly's husband Lionel.
"This was my way of giving back to Barbados, in a form of philanthropy, by assisting the QEH in its continued modernization program," Rihanna said in a statement to E! Online. "I believe that this will have a huge impact on the people of Barbados. This was all done to save lives or at least extend them."
Her donation will alter the radiotherapy department at the hospital to Clara Braithwaite Centre for Oncology and Nuclear Medicine. The money will be used to pay for vital pieces of medical equipment.
Dolly died in the early hours of July 1 this year after losing battle to cancer. She had been hospitalized at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York. "Goodbye #grangranDOLLY get your beauty rest until I see you," Rihanna announced her grandmother's death on Twitter.
Her grandparents play a huge role in Rihanna's life as she often spoke about the values of her upbringing. Rihanna even inked Dolly's name across her chest after the grandmother passed away.
More Rihanna News
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen