Zachary Levi and Jim Sturgess In the Running to Lead 'Guardians of the Galaxy'
"Guardians of the Galaxy" might be close to find its lead. Variety shares the words that Marvel Studios has narrowed its shortlist into two frontrunners to play Peter Quill. They are none other than Zachary Levi and Jim Sturgess.
For those who are unfamiliar with Quill a.k.a Star-Lord, the character leads a group of alien superheros including Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Drax the Destroyer and Gamora to protect the solar system from an evil force. They come from the future and another dimension. In Marvel comics, the Guardians also work with The Avengers to protect the universe.
Previously, it was said that Marvel tested five actors for the coveted lead role. They were Sturgess, Joel Edgerton, Lee Pace, Jack Huston and Eddie Redmayne. Sturgess is now the only one remaining from the list. As for Levi, though he was not included in the previous list, the studio was impressed with him after he tackled a supporting role in "Thor : The Dark World".
The "Guardians of the Galaxy" film project has hired James Gunn as the director and Black List scribe Chris McCoy as the screenwriter. The movie reportedly will follow a far-future story revolving around a group of alien beings - each the last of their kind - who eventually travel back in time to protect the earth from alien invasion. Marvel plans to release the flick Stateside on August 1, 2014.
More Guardians of the Galaxy News
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance